lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #11
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Marathon Hard starting once motor gets warm?

if you're asking about the muffler, search "muffler bbq" here in the forums for detailed info (I actually believe I have a post from last year with photos) - the long and the short of it is you remove the muffler, and start a nice, hot fire (in an old grill or even just a bonfire pit) and toss the muffler right on there for about an hour. The muffler will get hot (REALLY hot) and it will actually cause the goo inside to burn off and turn to ash, which can then be shaken out of the muffler (once it's thoroughly cooled).

It's actually a pretty fun procedure, as the goo ignites and combusts, the muffler will shoot flames out of both ends (which is pretty impressive) - generally about an hour ensures it's all burned out and gives you plenty of time to stand around the muffler and enjoy a beverage or two!

One note, the muffler will want to rust fairly fast after the procedure, so it's a good idea to (again, after it's cooled and the ash is shaken out) give it a fast wire brushing and a coat of high-temp paint (grill paint or muffler paint will do, a spray can of it will run you under $5) - you'll never believe how well it cleans the muffler out (and if it's clogged, improve performance) like it does until you've done it yourself!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #12
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

yep indeed start a camp fire and toss it in..........i let them stay in until i can see some cherry red than i know its to my liking well done.........get it out let it cool give it some light taps and shake and stir.........as mentioned wire brush it and paint it......good to go..........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #13
zlangdon
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Okay, I'm going to clean the carb really good today. If this doesn't fix it I will try cleaning the muffler.
zlangdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

just to restate though, before you set anything on fire go ahead and remove the bilts between the exhaust pipe and muffler so you have a 1/2" or more gap between them, then see how it fires and runs (do this during the day though as it's LOUD as hell) - if the muffler needs a cooking, this test will confirm it, if there's no difference with the muffler detached, then we need to look elsewhere
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #15
zlangdon
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Okay, I cleaned the carb very very good, changed the starter belt, and wouldn't ya know it runs likes top now! Even the black spark plugs I had in the motor are all of the sudden burning at a nice tan color! I hope this fixes this thing for good! I thank all of you for all the help! The only other question I have is, does it matter if I leave the breather tubr running from the bottom of the air filter housing disconnected? It runs to a port just below the carb.
zlangdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO