lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2011, 07:24 AM   #11
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: won't kick down to climb hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by koop View Post
another thing i noticed is when it is in neutral everything spins when i push it. Does not push free
All the forward-neutral-reverse lever is ,is a switch, not a gear change pushing it won't tell you anything except whay kind of physical shape you are in,. When you try pushing the cart your are still turning the drive belt and a little on the engine, Do like the guys say. Put the rear on jack stands and start it up and watch what your clutches are doing
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #12
Madman415
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
I was actually sitting here all morning WAITING for Dave to chime in on the clutch thing, hahaha

The good news is that if it's the driven (axle) clutch that's not moving, you can rebuild them relatively inexpensively - if it's the drive (engine) clutch though you'll have to replace it ... Another thing to check though is both the condition of your belt as well as the clutch surfaces, sometimes if the cart has sat, etc they'll get pretty sticky (rust, grime, etc) and a good cleanup with some steel wool or light sandpaper can often solve problems with the belt sticking, etc
I agree 100% with the clutch diagnosis.. I also went through the same problem with mine. My first problem was the fact that with all the added steel framing and 3/16" thick steel flat bed, plus the 24" tires I was running I encountered the same problem... I'd get to a hill and have to just about stop and take off again and my buggy would rev up until it got on the hill and lug the engine down, sometimes even start bucking. I replaced the driven clutch with a 28 degree, put a new severe duty belt, a new drive clutch and had the same problem only then it started roasting belts like crazy. Granted it weighs 1500 lbs plus big tires, I thought I bought enough to make it climb. In the end, I had to back the governor off back to the factory setting and make sure I had full throttle when the gas pedal was floored with the engine off. Problem solved, I used my GPS to clock the speed. 14mph on a flat, towing or not, and pulling any hill it shifts down at the slightest incline. I also have a Tachometer from a Cushman Truckster hooked up.. I have the governor set so that the engine is at 3,500rpm cruising and it will rev up to 5,200 rpm when pulling two other carts and a 200lb tool box up a steep hill. There are times it will go down to 3-4mph on a hill, depending on what i'm pulling or how much snow it's pushing but the RPM's jump right up and hold atleast 5,000 regardless of the speed under load. I'm not at all saying I'm right or wrong, just sharing my experience with the hill climbing issues, hopefully everything together you read from people here helps.
Madman415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:13 PM   #13
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

There is no neutral just forward and reverse. With the engine stopped you should be able to push the cart freely. The clutch which is mounted to the engine should be wide open and the belt should be sitting loosely on the clutch center. The clutch on the back axle should be fully closed the the belt riding at the top. When the engine speed increases the first clutch closes and grips the belt, as it is driven higher the belt forces the other clutch to open up. Did you do what I said in post #3, id so what was the result?
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #14
koop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I did put axle up and that clutch does not open up. Is that fixable? Other than replacing the clutch. The cart is industrial cart with all diamond plate body.
koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #15
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

If the driven clutch did not open that is repairable, however you will need to compress the spring and release the clip that holds it together. Alternatively you could just buy a new one for around $165.
Here is how to do it

Old 07-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #16
koop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I got both clutches working and the problem is still there. I have it on stands and was watching everything as i reved it up and saw alot of air going thru gas line. Would this be a problem? I took it for a 2 mile ride and it just got slower as we went along. Just seems like it is losing power. Or it stays at higher rpms but just not going???????????????? Slightly getting annoyed. Around where I live it seems like nobody knows anything about carts.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:43 AM   #17
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

So according to post 14 you had a frozen driven clutch and the according to post 16 you fixed it and you still have issues. Originally you stated that it would not change down when climbing hills but now the symptoms are that it loses power and gets slower even on the level. Is that correct?

It now sounds like the drive belt has worn and is slipping. Wrap a piece of string around the belt and then measure the length of the string to determine the length of the belt. Now measure the width of the belt. What are the numbers?

Dave
Old 07-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #18
koop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes it does get slower on level ground. I am picking up the hp3004 belt today and going to try that. I will let you know what happens. Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!! Slowly but surely I will have this thing running right.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #19
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Good attitude koop. That's the belt I use and it made a huge difference.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #20
koop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cart runs good for about a mile then loses almost all power. The solenoid is extremely hot to touch. Wondering if wiring is messed up. Belt did not make difference.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO