lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
scootsk
Gone Wild

Default Winterize my gas ezgo

Hi Guys

Camping season is over. I am leaving my cart on site, outdoors. What should I do to winterize the cart? I've heard some say that the tires should not contact the ground and placed on blocks, any opinion? The cart is going to be in the mountains in the northeast, so snow, ice and freezing temps will be common. I do have a cover, what else should I do?

Thanks
scootsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Winterize my gas ezgo

I left my old sparky cart on the ground last winter and the tires didn't seem the worse for wear.

To my mind, keeping snow out of the engine compartment is critical, as you don't want moisture ruining the switches or starting corrosion on the connections. If I had to leave mine outside this winter (which I don't cuz I made room in the garage for it), I'd try to ensure the engine compartment was blocked off with wood/cardboard to keep snow from getting in.

Possibly putting some boards on the front/side/rear of the cart before putting the cover on would be prudent.....

Last edited by ScooterMcTavish; 10-12-2011 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: "m" key looks like an "n" key
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
scootsk
Gone Wild

Thanks Scooter. Nice to know it made it through a Canadian Winter. I'll will use your suggestions.

Can anybody help me with the gasoline motor?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
danger42
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'd also block the muffler with some steel wool to keep critters out. They love to climb into those sorts of things and make nests or store their stuff.

As for the gasoline, I would drain the tank, drain the lines, and run it dry if you can just before storing. You want to minimize the amount of ethanol-laced gas building up deposits in your carb.
danger42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
tguellich
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I stored mine for 4 winter months out of the year for the first time. First I parked it on the deck to keep some of the ground moisture from further rotting the bottom. Then I threw a tarp over it. In the spring it would not start. I changed the plug and tapped the carb bowl a few times and she started right up. I plan to do the same this year.
tguellich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You could also run it with some Seafoam mixed into the tank (1/3 to 1/4 can). This will stabilize the ethanol for the winter, and should help keep things from gunking too bad. I've run Seafoam ever since the third time I cleaned the carb (in a 1 week period) and it seems to be keeping things clean.

Depending on access to the cart, I'd also consider removing the battery and storing it in an accessible area. Last thing you need is for the battery to discharge over the winter, freeze, and crack.

Last tip would be to use a rust-resistant spray such as WD-40 on the visible main contacts just to give them a light oil coat going into winter. This could help in resisting corrosion, especially when spring hits and the cart warms and cools, and gets condensation underneath.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

A bunch of us at the lake have covered sheds as well as some cart covers.
Had a dog make his winter home on the seat of one of them and tore the seat up.
I now sit a empty plastic tote on my seats just in case.

Use Seafoam in the fuel and fill the tank before you leave to reduce tank condensation.
I also use Harbor Freight $5.00 battery maintainers and let them work over the winter on my carts and skis.
I don't put mine on blocks and it takes about 15 minutes of riding to get the flat out of them. No biggie........
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:29 AM   #8
scootsk
Gone Wild

Scooter, great tips. I never thought of Sea Foam. Here on Long Island, most use it for fuel stabilization on the diesel boats. After googling Sea Foam I plan to use it in everything. I was speaking with a guy who used to work in the oil industry and he said that if you use premium gas, varnishing is minimal and you would not need to add anything to the fuel if storing for 6 months or less. I'm too afraid to do that. I real do not want to have pull the carb, since it located right under a cross brace on top of the engine. Everthing else is accessible, except the carb.
I do usually use Stabil in the gas as soon as I purchase it. So if I pump out the gas and run until empty I should be good.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:34 AM   #9
scootsk
Gone Wild

Crash, I should fill the tank? Didn't think of the condensation issue. My shed will not fit the cart as the cart is much larger than a regular cart. I do have a cover though. I will tie that down for the winter. The battery from the camper and the cart are coming home for the winter where I keep them charged in the warmth of my basement.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:55 AM   #10
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Seafoam I use my cart during the winter to get out on the ice. But while it sits, I put the battery tender on it and I run Seafoam with every full tank as I dont know when it will go out again.
The only problem I end up with is washing the road salt off of it when I get done.
Typically, I just heat the garage and give it a semi dry bath. (spray bottle and rags).

essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO