lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
hogie1418@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

Default Flywheel fell off!!! 79 EZGO

So we got this cart and we had been trying to gain a spark. We finally got a spark by sanding the points and got the cart running. While it was running the flywheel fell off. Yes it fell off. We have since found out that the guy that we got the cart from had removed the bolt holding the flywheel on. (We did not know that it was missing) The flywheel goes back on and seems to move just fine but It now comes off with a simple tap of a hammer.

Is this normal?

According to my manual on the cart the flywheel should require a flywheel puller bolt for removal.

Also, ever since the flywheel fell off we can no longer get a spark. Are the two problems related? Thanks
hogie1418@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Flywheel fell off!!! 79 EZGO

So you sanded the points?? with out removing the fly wheel ??. you say the the owner of the cart must of left the bolt out of the fly wheel?? some thing is not right here..and yes the fly wheel, flying off could be alot of your problem, check for cut or broken wires
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
hogie1418@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

Here is a pic of our flywheel while it was on.
2011-10-07 12.28.45.jpg

You can also see where a bolt should have gone but we did not know it needed one until it flew off. If you look, there are openings where we were able to get in and sand between the points. It allowed us to get a spark but after it came off we have gotten very little to no spark. Is it ok to just rescrew the flywheel back on? I feel there is something more that needs to be done.

On a side note. The condensor has yet to be replaced. Would a bad condensor cause no spark?
hogie1418@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

What you say is correct for the points based carts. There is a port to adjust the timing and gap but you need to remove the flywheel to change the points (and sadly you need an EZGO tool to do that, but not in your case).

I think that I would remove the flywheel and the cover on the port and have a close look at what is happening when you turn the engine by hand. If you have a multimeter you could remove the negative from the coil and connect one end to that wire and the other to the battery negative. With the meter set to ohms you should see the points opening and closing on the meter.

If the condenser (which is actually just a capacitor) is open or shorted you will have no spark. An easy test is to remove it and connect the negative to the body and the positive to the lead. The meter should kick to show a short circuit and then gradually increase in ohms as the meter battery charges the capacitor. It is kind of hard to see a change on a digital meter but you will see the numbers change and you should end up with a steady state ohms value. Infinity or zero mean it is time for a new condensor.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

that's good info dave. for years i always just threw away the old condenser when changing points, cause they were so cheap and that is how i was taught to do it back in the fifties. been awhile since i have done it tho. if i build a sbc, i generally install an hei dist. one wire.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO