lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
Gaylord
Not Yet Wild

Default Steering Wheel Removal

I have a 1992 Club Car and have removed the steering wheel center cover and the large jamb nut and washer that secures the steering wheel to the shaft. I have tried penetrating oil on the shaft and have tried to hammer it off but nothing has gotten it to loosen. I can see the splines on the shaft and they do not appear to have rusted. Any suggestions?
Gaylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Steering Wheel Removal

sit in cart put your knees against under side of wheel put the nut back on just flush with shaft and press up towards you with your knees ( upwards pressure on wheel ) and put the shaft good with a hammer.......wheel should pop off.......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Gaylord
Not Yet Wild

Tried the knee trick and several other similiar methods. I even tried heating the shaft with a heat gun and then tapping the wheel upward. I also tried hitting downward on the the center to break it free but the wheel will not move in either direction.
Gaylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

look up steering wheel puller. walmart sells one for like $11, autozone for like 20. a double headed c clamp is another option.
-sj
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bessey-double-headed-c-clamp.jpg (52.4 KB, 1 views)
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

When bracing knees against dash, push upwards . . there should be about 1/8-1/4" "slop" in linkage . . while pushing wheel upwards, removing slop, and nut on shaft loosely (to protect threads), place either an oak wood dowel or short brass rod (about 1" diameter") on top of nut/shaft . . . then whack the dowel/rod with the hammer . . . soaking with PB blaster prior to attempting will facilitate the removal . . . good luck . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Here is how I removed mine. Get you a nice dead blow hammer. Mine was a 42oz snap-on. Get back and start swinging. I was surprised how hard it was to get off and also take the beating i gave it. I swung standing up with all my might, and finally got it off
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Spray a little PB blaster on the shaft area, it will help loosen the area. I know you stated you tried some penetrating oil, but not sure of which one. I would leave the main nut on, but loose, so in the event of it coming loose it does not come off in your face.....Good luck CC steering wheels can be a pain.

Sorry steve also posted some of the same info,,,missed that.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
kinder
Getting Wild

Club Car

Instead of bp blaster get some aero kroil. It is a lot better than blaster. You can find it at most napa stores. You will still have to beat on it.
kinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinder View Post
Instead of bp blaster get some aero kroil. It is a lot better than blaster. You can find it at most napa stores. You will still have to beat on it.
PB blaster smells better than Kroil (the "Oil that Creeps") . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinder View Post
Kroil works great! It does have a " different " odor, though! The trick is to leave it sit overnight. Holding up with knees usually works. Colt's idea of a dead blow hammer helps too. Don't feel alone, E-Z-GO's are just as bad to get off!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car