lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Front wheel bearing removal

81 marathon. Ive never replaced front bearings before (or any trailer bearings) and was hoping someone could provide info on removing the hub, and removing/replacing the bearings. The front pass side is hard to turn, and I'm sure the bearings have more or less welded themselves to the spindle. Do I need a puller of sorts or maybe a BFH to remove/reinstall the hub? Any tips would be great. Thx!
frodrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Front wheel bearing removal

I haven't ever taken a golf cart hub apart but I have done it on plenty of trailer hubs and wagon and rear wheel drive auto hubs.

Pull off the wheel and then pry off the center cap. You will see a big castle nut. Straighten the cotter pin that keeps the nut from working loose and then remove the nut. The hub should pull straight off the shaft. The bearings can only go in one direction- just inspect the rollers and races (the flat part the rollers roll on) for rust and large pits. On a golf cart you could just clean them up a little if there are some minor pits, repack them with grease( rub grease into all of the spaces between the rollers) and resinstall. Don't tighten the nut up very tight, the hub should spin easily with a tiny amount of play when you reinstall the cotter key. If you tighten the nut too tight, the hub will be hard to spin- just back off some if you get it too tight.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyerik View Post
I haven't ever taken a golf cart hub apart but I have done it on plenty of trailer hubs and wagon and rear wheel drive auto hubs.

Pull off the wheel and then pry off the center cap. You will see a big castle nut. Straighten the cotter pin that keeps the nut from working loose and then remove the nut. The hub should pull straight off the shaft. The bearings can only go in one direction- just inspect the rollers and races (the flat part the rollers roll on) for rust and large pits. On a golf cart you could just clean them up a little if there are some minor pits, repack them with grease( rub grease into all of the spaces between the rollers) and resinstall. Don't tighten the nut up very tight, the hub should spin easily with a tiny amount of play when you reinstall the cotter key. If you tighten the nut too tight, the hub will be hard to spin- just back off some if you get it too tight.
Im gonna add to this. Just make sure you have plenty of grease in between all the rollers. When you go to tight the nut up you want to seat the bearing. What i mean by that is you tighten the nut snug then back off about a 1/2 a turn or so til it spins a turn and a half by itself. Hopefully this makes sense. That how i do car wheel bearing and never had a problem.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The step that people forget on setting bearings is this.Tighten the nut Tight,spin the hub,back the nut off about 1/4-turn or so,spin the hub again,then tighten it until you just feel it snug-up against the bearing(sometimes even loosen/tighten at this step a few times to make sure).Then line up your cotter-pin(always go to the next hole tighter if you need to align the nut to the slot).Tightening it first and spinning trues the bearings in the races,otherwise they can cock a little and then loosen when they seat themselves after running a bit.This is the same procedure for anything with roller-bearings,from carts to semis'.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well said!

Old 10-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Old 10-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I better recheck my wheel bearings again. They might be on the loose side.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
chardonite
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Never tighten to the next slot when adjusting, always loosen. A little loose is always better than to tight
chardonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Not necessarily true,remember that when you pack the bearings properly,they are actually over-stuffed to some point,when they begin to run-in,they will dissipate the grease,even out,and loosen a bit.I've been doing this my entire life,I've worked on Heavy-Trucks and Equipment for almost 25yrs.You set them just where you feel interference,if it doesn't line up,go a touch tighter,it will be fine.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
Not necessarily true,remember that when you pack the bearings properly,they are actually over-stuffed to some point,when they begin to run-in,they will dissipate the grease,even out,and loosen a bit.I've been doing this my entire life,I've worked on Heavy-Trucks and Equipment for almost 25yrs.You set them just where you feel interference,if it doesn't line up,go a touch tighter,it will be fine.
I agree. I've always been told to go tighter to the next slot too.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO