lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
Dirtdigger
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Need To Do Some Re Wiring

My cart is a 97 36 volt ezgo.It has been through several owners,each with their own ideas on how to wire accessories.I want to do it right and re-wire everything.

I need to order a reducer,but I need to know which one(how many amps).I have two sets of headlights that have 10 amp breakers,my stereo,horn and power outlet-cigarette lighter.

My plan is to run the wiring from the reducer to a fuse panel,then to the accessories,thus eliminating any in line fuses.

My other problem is the winch for my snow plow.I currently have it wired to two batteries.The winch came with a 50 amp breaker.Should I just leave this wired to the batteries and switch the wires around from time to time?

They are new batteries,and I would like to do this right.Keep in mind the plow will only use the winch for a few seconds at a time,and for a total of about an hour(tops) while plowing my driveway.Then back on the charger.Same with the lights,only at night for plowing.

When I put the cart back on the charger,will it bring all the batteries up to full capacity?

After doing some searching,I think I think I read that the cart ,unlike a car should not have a "body ground".Is this correct?I installed some "work lights" on the cart and grounded them off to the frame for the top,and they worked.Should there be a separate ground from the batteries to each accessory?

Sorry for the long and multifaceted question,but like I said I want to do this right.Thanks
Dirtdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need To Do Some Re Wiring

Assuming your headlights are 55 watts, that's nearly 10 amps. Add your stereo and accessories, and the work light you added, you should shoot for 30 amps. ScottyB sold me one for a good price. I've seen 'em cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

You need to run two wires for your work light and you may need to find a way to insulate the mount, if it's negative grounded.

You can get a good marine grade fuse block that has a negative bus, which will ease installation.

If you only use your winch occasionally, you should be alright. You can either leave them on one pair, and use a 12 volt charger to top them off after use, and before you charge the whole pack. There was another post where this was discussed, so you can search for that.

Added:
If you need to buy another work light, boating supplies generally have two wires and aren't negatively grounded, like most automotive accessories are.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
Dirtdigger
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks
Old 10-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Pablob
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Dirtdigger
First you should never ground anything to the frame everything goes to a battery ground (negative post). There are several post on wiring of accessories I have installed mind to a separate battery and of course you have to have a separate charger. With the winch on two batts it can draw a good of amount of amperage and discharge those batts faster that the others thus waring out all batteries at a faster rate. With the winch and accessories you could install grp 31 batt in the golf bag well and charge it with a separate charger and not put the burden on the drive batts
Pablob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Dirtdigger
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablob View Post
Dirtdigger
First you should never ground anything to the frame everything goes to a battery ground (negative post). There are several post on wiring of accessories I have installed mind to a separate battery and of course you have to have a separate charger. With the winch on two batts it can draw a good of amount of amperage and discharge those batts faster that the others thus waring out all batteries at a faster rate. With the winch and accessories you could install grp 31 batt in the golf bag well and charge it with a separate charger and not put the burden on the drive batts
Thanks.Funny you should bring this up.I have a battery tray from my old pontoon boat.I ordered a group 27 battery from my local Interstate dealer this morning.Going to run the wiring to that.Already mounted the tray.

Found a ground wire one of the previous owners must have run to the frame for some reason.That's why the lights I hooked up worked.Took care of that.Rewired my lights,all is good......I think.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO