lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
Ks2290
Not Yet Wild

Default Help with speed

I'm new to the forums but have had golf carts for awhile now I have two 95 ezgo txt and have just purchased another txt but its a 97 but for some reason the other two ezgos are way faster then the one I just bought and all is the same including batteries I've heard some say something about a speed chip or something that may be on there to slow it down. Any help will be greatly appreciated.Thanks Kevin
Ks2290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help with speed

Welcome to BGW!

The "Speed Chip" doesn't apply because it only applies to the PDS type drive system and the TXT Body Style didn't come with a PDS drive until model year 2000.

Your late 90's TXT body style carts are either series drive or DCS drive.
If there is a Run/Tow switch on the controller cover, it is a DCS.
If not, it is a series (series wound motor)

What type drive systems do you various TXT body style carts have?

Do they all have the same size tires (Tire height changes speed)

Do they all have the same gauge high current cables?

What is the battery pack voltages, 12 hours after the charger shuts off?

Do they all have stock Controllers?

Do they all roll freely?

What is the speed of the new cart and what are the speeds of the other two carts?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Ks2290
Not Yet Wild

None of them have the run tow switch they are all on stock size tires that is after fully charging the batteries and they all have the same cables cause I made the out of number 4 like I use in my racecar and they are all stock and roll freely. I do not know the exact speed but the one I just bought is a lot slower in Reverse then foward and the other two are just as fast in foward as they are in reverse.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
Ks2290
Not Yet Wild

I think the faster ones are like 10 mph
Old 12-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

So the problem is that newest acquisition isn't as fast in reverse as the other two?
That narrows it down to the orange wire between C terminal on MS-4 and Pin-3 on the controller. (aka the half speed reverse wire.)

Disconnect the orange wire and they should all be the same.

Stock speed is in the 12-14 MPH range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Series TXT schematic - Pre 1998.JPG (114.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Ks2290
Not Yet Wild

It's not as fast in forward as the other two either.We raced them around the racetrack and they older two just walked away and left the newer one behind and the lightest rider was one the newest one the only thing I can think of it the other two have about three charges on the new battery and the other one only has the initial charge. Shouldn't they all be around the same speed cause the older two are almost identical in speed. I'm sorry the the two older ones are medalist not txt but I'm not sure if that makes a difference.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

They should all be about the same speed if they are all set up the same.

Max RPM on a series wound motor is determined by the voltage applied to it.

If the battery packs are fully charged, they will read about 38.2V about 12 hours after the come off charge. If they are new batteries, they will read a bit higher.

New batteries have to be broken in properly to obtain their maximum storage capacity, but the voltage will be the same, they just have a lower Amp-Hour rated battery until they mature.

The motor in the new one could have some brush issue or something else that is preventing it from spinning as fast as the others, or there may be some excessive resistance in the High current loop causing a voltage drop, so there is less voltage being applied to the motor, or the ITS may not be telling the controller to pass all the available amps to the motor.

While doing the following, you might want to raise the rear tires off the ground and put on jack stands so the half ton cart doesn't run over somebody or something.

With a DVM, measure and note the pack voltage.
Then measure the voltage between the B- and M- terminals on the controller.
When the solenoid first clicks, the voltage between B- and M- should be identical to the pack voltage.

If it isn't, there is excessive resistance in the high current loop.
If it is identical, slowly press pedal to floor.
The voltage should smoothly decrease to zero.

If not, check the ITS for the proper input to controller.
If so, the motor has some issues.

Another way of verifying the controller is turning all the way on is to connect the DVM between the M- and B+ terminals on controller.
It should read about zero when solenoid first clicks and climb to full battery pack voltage when the pedal is on floor.

-----------
Alsop, if any of the high current cables, connections or contacts are getting very warm, there is resistance present and whatever is getting warm needs to be fixed.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
Ks2290
Not Yet Wild

Thanks johnnie all checked out as you stated so I'm leaning towards the motor I'm gonna swap them later this afternoon and see what happens and let u know and thanks for all the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO