lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
ElecStupid
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Arcing on new contact board.

Thanks for all the help, I've got a broken third coil. Looks like I'll be pulling it out and hitting up golfcartking after I tear it apart and see what all I need.
ElecStupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #12
3WheelDumbo
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Glad you found it.... These guys definately are not the fastest, but simple sure is nice
3WheelDumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #13
ElecStupid
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This
Old 06-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
ElecStupid
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So, either I've got an IQ under 80 or Dr. Frankenstein owned this cart previously. I'll try to keep this short.

Here's my banana, '81 I believe.
http://[URL=http://s663.photobucket.com/user/toddmack_photos/media/f6949be4-ddfd-4b7c-a812-fdcd9665708c.jpg.html][/URL]
http://[URL=http://s663.photobucket.com/user/toddmack_photos/media/2846f816-d3f9-4328-92d2-c4a263ea76f4.jpg.html][/URL]
I've put in a new contact board and wiper because the old ones were toast. After that i still had a arcing between 1st(idle) and second contacts. Thanks to the BGW members I found this.
http://[URL=http://s663.photobucket.com/user/toddmack_photos/media/44ad7391-3143-4034-84bf-20cd8ae2ef06.jpg.html][/URL]
I ordered a new resistor coil set but I still have the same trouble. I've pulled every cable and checked/cleaned the connections but can't seem to find any problems.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #15
3WheelDumbo
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Pull the new contact board back out if it was arcing after it was replaced. Now that the resistor coils are good there should be no more shorting. But because the coils were bad it most likely caused arcing at the control board which melted some of the contacts causing shorts between the post. File each contact done smooth and remove any "globs" of copper that may have melted between the post. Next file the swiper contact flat and smooth. reassemble it and verify the swiper makes contact with each post fully and not at an angle. If not file the swiper contact to it is level with the control board contacts. Then try again. That should get rid of it unless you have arcing somewhere else like on the FnR switch witch works essentially the same way.

I had the same issue and had to really go through the newly installed control board cause the coils had shorted it out. The contacts are copper so they are easy to clean up and shape with a file but they also melt easily causing shorts between the post. Hope this helps... Good luck
Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #16
3WheelDumbo
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Nice marathon by the way.. I dig the color, it is way better than pink
Old 07-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #17
ElecStupid
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the response Dumbo but pulled the wiper and board when I put the new coils in. Even went so far as to replace the "touched" contact with a new one and file it down until everything ran across them nice and smooth. The wiper got a little TLC too. Any idea if the microswitch on the board could be a problem?

If things in my golf world couldn't get more frustrating... my charger walked off when my wife had a garage sale a couple weeks ago. I sure love this game!
If anyone knows where to hunt for a decent 36v charger w/ that crowfoot end on it I would appreciate knowing. Thanks
Old 07-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #18
3WheelDumbo
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Where is it arcing? If still on the control board and if everything was replaced and verified as not shorting (sometimes you get little blobs between the contact post after it has arced) then check all the connections again. Arcing and heat are symptoms of poor or loose connections. There is not a whole lot in the high current loop on these carts so it has to be something simple. If the arcing is from somewhere else let us know and we can talk about that. The only other place I can think of off the top of my head is the FnR switch. They sometimes come loose and then arcing occurs in the switch, it also has copper contacts that conect the current to either side of the motor to make it run in reverse.

Scotty B has a good charger and I believe you can get it with what ever connection you want. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html
Old 07-08-2013, 12:46 AM   #19
ElecStupid
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Dumbo,
I really do appreciate your help, even if you're from Hippie Texas(Austin). I'm at my wits end with this thing and think i'm just going to drive it till the wheels fall off or the wiper is burned up. Much like the previous owner(Father-in-Law). Is it OK to shoot them down there, because I'm thinking of moving him down there!
Old 07-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #20
3WheelDumbo
Getting Wild

Yamaha

still cant shoot them here but you can hang em :) We just try not to live with em like you do in KS...

Did you find where it was arcing?? Put it up on blocks (Like KS homes.. hehehe) and remove the seat, watch for the arc flash, where is it?

Just ribbing you back ya know, my wife has a lot of family around Sterling
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO