lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
TRP
Gone Wild

Default Re: just got a G1 and is smells hot!

When my club car smelled hot, and I asked this same question - the club car guys suggested I not worry about it. Fear not - I know exactly what you mean - it just smells hot.

One sympathetic guy suggested I install a 20.00 temp sensor from Sunpro. I picked it up on Amazon and installed it in an hour. Best $20.00 I have spent on my cart, so far. In an instant I can tell how hot the motor is running. You will just need to figure out what the 'average temp' should be, and then you can use the gauge to measure how yours is running.

Sunpro temerature sensor and gauge Sunpro temerature sensor and gauge

Here is the thread where I asked this same question

Here is the Precedent gauges thread where a user suggested I give the head temp sensor a shot.

In the end, they were right - the cart is operating exactly how it should. I'm still happy to have that simple piece of mind from looking at the gauge.

Best of luck!
Ted
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
rib33024

if you think it is running hotter than it should, remove the plastic shrouds and make sure that the fins on the head is not packed full of mud and grass, that will make it run hotter than it should, but put the shrouds back on don't run the motor with out them they help cool the motor
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
ice329
Getting Wild
Yamaha

TRP what kind of cart you running? where could you install the guage on a two stroke G1. It be cool but, looks like the probe needs to be in the oil or prob cooling water or can it mount right to the head somehow

Maybe past owner didnt run the cart hard and your heating it up. the smells might go away unless there really is a prob. your gonna smell the oil if your using premix and the injector.
ice329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #14
saskie99
Not Yet Wild

The previous owner Forsure didn't run the cart hard. He was an older guy who golfed a few times a week. I am gonna look around the shrouds this weekend and check for dirt. Also I am gonn a take her for a long run and heat up the pipe and see how that works as well.
saskie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
TRP
Gone Wild

I'm running an 88 Club car. I didn't put the probe IN the oil, I simply mounted it next to the head/heat shield.

Just like this:

Worked out great. It's not an exact scientific measurement, but it's close enough for what I need.

Hope this works for you,
Ted
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #16
saskie99
Not Yet Wild

Well , took the cart out last night and drive it hard up some big hill and got her good and hot............... And then the pipe started smoking and wow I mean smoking! Like crazy smoking just like some one on here told me it would. I drove it for about 1/2 hour like that then parked it so we will see how it runs today!
There was enough smoke it looked like the cart was on fire from underneath it!!
Old 06-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #17
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

No more mesquitos though!
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #18
rib33024

Sounds like it might be time for this

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...tml#post247558
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #19
saskie99
Not Yet Wild

The BBQ is gonna have to happen. It was way less hot smelling but I think it still has to happen. Maybe next weekend. It has been cool and raining here all weekend but I will say that the cart seems to run better!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha