lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 91 ez go won't go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie22 View Post
Johnny B , I do get full voltage between M- and B- when pedal depressed.
Any idea's?
When pedal is pressed only far enough for solenoid to click, you should get full pack voltage between B- and M-.
Then when pedal is slowly pressed to floor, the voltage between b- and m- should smoothly decrease to zero.

If the voltage doesn't decrease to near zero, either the controller is bad or the throttle input to the controller is bad.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie22 View Post
Also noticed that the wire on the pos side of resistor between the pos/neg on the solenoid gets really hot when key is on and cart is in gear. Does this mean anything?
None of the wires or cables should be getting really hot. If they are, something is wrong.

I'm not sure which wire you are talking about.
There are two sets of terminals on the solenoid.
The solenoid activation coil is between the two small studs and has a diode between them.
The solenoid's contacts are between the two large studs and they have a resistor between them.

Where does the other end of the wire/cable that is getting hot, connect to?
Old 07-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #13
Newbie22
Not Yet Wild

I'm pretty sure the voltage stayed at about 39 volts while pushing pedal to the floor, didn't fluctuate at all. As for the wire I'm talking about its the resistor wire that goes from the two large terminals on the solenoid.
Newbie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
Newbie22
Not Yet Wild

How do I check either the throttle input or the controller?
Thanks
Old 07-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The resistor might get pretty warm, but the 6Ga (or larger) cables shouldn't.
If they do, there is excessive resistance in the cable or connection.

The voltage between B- and M- staying at 39V when pedal is pushed to floor, means the control element within the controller is not passing amps to the motor.

The controller has three small push-on connectors.
One turns on (Powers-Up) the controller. It has to have Battery pack voltage on it for the controller to work.
You also have to have Battery pack voltage on the controller terminal marked B+.
You get 39V between B- and M-, so B- is connected to the controller's B- terminal.

If those conditions are met, the controller should pass amps (voltage decreases between B- and M-) when the throttle input increases from zero Ohms to 5K Ohms.
To check the throttle input:
Remove the black and white small wires from the controller and measure between them with an Ohmmeter.
Should be about zero Ohms (less than about 300 Ohms) with pedal up and about 5,000 Ohms (4.5k up to about 6.5k) with pedal down.

If the controller is being powered up and the throttle input is varying fro zero up to 5k Ohms, but the voltage between B- and M- does not decrease, the controller is bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curtis 1204 terminals.JPG (11.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #16
Newbie22
Not Yet Wild

It does seem to vary a bit, I had my dad test it cause I couldn't get out to his house. He tells me it goes from 0.0 to about 1.037 when you depress the pedal. So it is looking like the controller? I found a few on line but not 100% sure what will fit mine. I found a Curtis 1204m-5201 that looks like mine 275amp 36-48 volts. Would this work? Thanks for all the help so far
Old 07-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #17
Newbie22
Not Yet Wild

So before I go and buy a new controller, there likley isn't anything else I can check?
All things seem to point to the controller?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Check the throttle as I described in post#15.

The results your dad got, do not indicate he was measure the resistance between the two wires.
I suspect, he measured the voltage between then while they were connected to the controller.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #19
Newbie22
Not Yet Wild

JohnnieB, I got him to check it again, told him to make sure meter was in Ohms and wires were removed from controller and he came back telling me the same numbers. 0.0 before pedal is pressed and climbing up to 1.037 when pressed. Could this mean that potentiometer or what ever it's called is bad?
Old 07-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Thger resitance of the potentiometer should go from about -0- Ohms when pedal is up to about 5,000 Ohms when pedal is on floor.

Your dad is probably on the Ohms X 1000 scale, so I suspect the reading is
1,037 Ohms with pedal down.
The is way out of specs, but the controller should interpret it as 20% throttle and the cart should move (or voltage between B- and M- should decrease by about 20%)

You might have two problems. Bad Potentiometer and a bad controller.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO