lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
zroadrage
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question 36v ezgo grounding out

my 90 model ezgo 36v cart is grounding out. should the solenoid ohm across the large post. should the small post? if motor is bad would it ground out to the frame. when I hook the negative terminal up it makes the cart read 38.2v from frame to hot terminal. actually almost every thing in the cart reads this. I replaced the solenoid with a new one a few weeks ago and it ran fine for a few weeks. I used the small one inplace of the large white Rodgers one but was told this was ok. could it have gone bad already and grounded out. batteries read good but if I try and connect switch hot to the load it blows out because wire on load of switch is reading negative. Please help if you have any ideas I'm out of ideas.
zroadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: 36v ezgo grounding out

ya a solenoid can go out that quick.. i'd go with a better solenoid .. and see what happens
as for it grounding out i do'nt think so .. check to make sure no wires are hooked / grounded to frame .. my 93 has no volts to frame
Old 07-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
zroadrage
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

checked for wires pinched or skinned. nothing. solenoid is reading negative on small post from controller with no power from switch going to it. also reads across large post with 38.2v with on both sides with switch off? is that right?
Old 07-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
crash test dummy

yes ... small wires make it engage
when you take reading across the large posts it should be the pack voltage
Old 07-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
zroadrage
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

so with switch off shouldn't the small post not read
Old 07-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zroadrage View Post
checked for wires pinched or skinned. nothing. solenoid is reading negative on small post from controller with no power from switch going to it. also reads across large post with 38.2v with on both sides with switch off? is that right?
You should not have the same voltage on the two large terminals until you depress the pedal, with the key switch on, and in F or R! The solenoid could be stuck. Try smacking it with a screwdriver handle. If it was stuck, replace it with the original style solenoid. Now as to reading voltage on the frame. You shouldn't have any! Yes a shorted motor can pass current to the frame. Also someone may have hooked up lights or another accessory using the frame as a return negative. Never do this on an electric cart! All accessories must be electrically isolated from the body and frame and have a positive feed to the accessory and a negative return directly to B -.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
36v, ezgo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO