lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
mckicker
Not Yet Wild

Default My Yamaha G5 gas will not start

I was driving my cart and stopped at a stop sign. When I went to go again, the cart would not start. I have done the following.
1. checked for gas to plug. It's ok
2. checked for spark. It's ok
3. Cleaned the carb
4. I have seemingly good compression, though have not checked with a gauge yet.
The cart was running absolutely perfect until I stopped. Then nothing. and yes there is gas in the cart. Any ideas what could be the issue. Thanks in advance.
mckicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: My Yamaha G5 gas will not start

For the cart to not start, just like that, after running good could be either no fuel to carb. or too much fuel (flooded) to carb. Check your fuel pump to see if no fuel. Also, try priming the engine through the carb. with a little gas to see if it may be a no fuel issue. Hold the throttle wide open while cranking to check for flooded condition. Another scenario might be if one of your valves stopped working due to a pushrod falling off (compression check to see). Another possible cause = fouled spark plug (but not likely as it was running good). Just a few possibilities to check, I'm sure others will have ideas for you also. - good luck. - RAY

Last edited by bigstik40; 10-15-2013 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: add info.
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
mckicker
Not Yet Wild

Did the compression check and it only shows 20 on the gauge. So it appears there may be something internal. It did not make any abnormal noise prior to stopping like a clunk or bang. Is it possible a valve may be out of adjustment or something?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
mckicker
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the input Ray. It seems to be getting adequate fuel. We took the carb off and cleaned it inside out. I also put in a new plug. Did the compression check and it only shows 20 on the gauge. Is it possible a valve is out of adjustment or something. It did not make any abnormal noise prior to it not starting like a clunk or bang, etc. Another issue is the air filter has quite a bit of oil on it. Doesn't seem right to me.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If you put more than 1qt in it they puke the oil out into the airbox. Check valves take the top cover off and (key off) turn it over by hand to see them move. See if a pushrod came off or spring broke, etc. Make sure you seal that cover back on if it leaks the oil goes on the cooling fins and plugs them with dirt.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
mckicker
Not Yet Wild

I got a tip to check the compression with the carb butterfly held open and the check now shows 120 psi.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Then I would look at gas and fire. Get a tester for the spark (and a new plug), the testers are like $5 at autozone and tell you quick what the ignition is doing. Plugs do foul out in Asian 4 strokes, even if they look good, so don't forget trying a different plug.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
mckicker
Not Yet Wild

To all who have helped me I thank you so much. Boy do I feel dumb. After checking the compression pressing on the gas pedal and only getting 20 psi and then checking getting 120 psi while holding the carb butterfly open by hand it finally dawned on me to look at the accelerator cable when stepping on the pedal. Guess what. The cable doesn't move when I push the pedal. So, I worked the carb by hand while pressing the pedal and it started right up. It was a feeling of elation and gee whiz LOL. Thanks again to everyone. I think I can take it from here.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

That's great that you found your problem! Looks like you got the "last mile" out of your accelerator cable. Must have snapped when you tried to go after that last stop sign. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:11 AM   #10
Dixietoolz
Not Yet Wild

My cart recently did the same thing was running fine and then all of a sudden nothing. Im not sure about the G5 but the G9 has a 10 amp fuse. Pulled the fuse and the fuse was not blown. Took a knife and cleaned the blades of the fuse, popped her back in and off we went. That was several weeks ago and shes been running fine since.
Dixietoolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha