lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
cbryan88
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Cool TXT High speed shimmy and front end parts

Now that I have her running up in low-mid 20's some new front end issues have arisen. looking for input before I start part swapping etc...

Cart is 2004 TXT PDS that just got new Alltrax DCX 500 and 2ga, 205/50-10 tires on aftermarket wheels, running 2" spacers at all four corners.

Cart had excessive toe-out when I got it (to point tire wear was evident.) Re set toe to 1/8" out when I installed the tires n wheels and spacers, but never got to run it while sorting controller issues until today.

Upon inspection, I get a little "wheel rattle" on both fronts when rocking top of tire with cart on ground, but bearings felt pretty tight and smooth when it was on stands for tires. Has me thinking ball joint/rack/uprights are the culprit...
Also, noticed that steering arm that comes from rack is bent slightly, and my front axle/subframe is rather suspiciously shiny compared to rest of undercarriage...has me wondering about her prior life...

What typically goes first on these? Looking for first hand experience and advice...

Going to be installing factory lowering kit in a week or two along with Ausco disc brake kit I got from ScottyB and want to deal with front end and any other bearing or bushing issues at same time. Also going to be going up to 42V and thinking about an 8:1 rear end which should make it a 30+mph cart, so it needs to be tight and free of "shakes and rattles"

Also best personal experiences as far as source for the parts would be helpful.
cbryan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2013, 02:31 AM   #2
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: TXT High speed shimmy and front end parts

Worn kingpin bushings (they're plastic) would be at the top of my " to check" list.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:47 AM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan88 View Post
Cart had excessive toe-out when I got it (to point tire wear was evident.) Re set toe to 1/8" out when I installed the tires n wheels and spacers, but never got to run it while sorting controller issues until today.
Reset toe to 1/8" in, not out. Are you doing this with tires still on cart? Attached an image of the most accurate way a home mechanic can adjust toe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26.jpg (298.8 KB, 0 views)
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
JMGreco
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If anyone more qualified than I feels ambitious, I think that sportcoupe's tip on front end allignment could be used for a sticky on said subject. I have seen other good info and diagrams on the same subject in other threads that could possibly be combined. Just my 0.02$.

I personally was struggling with the best way to measure toe - sportscoupe idea is the best I have seen.
JMGreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
mike777
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGreco View Post
If anyone more qualified than I feels ambitious, I think that sportcoupe's tip on front end allignment could be used for a sticky on said subject. I have seen other good info and diagrams on the same subject in other threads that could possibly be combined. Just my 0.02$.

I personally was struggling with the best way to measure toe - sportscoupe idea is the best I have seen.
X2 , "Sportcoupe" for President
mike777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
cbryan88
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: TXT High speed shimmy and front end parts

LOt's of good advice on driveway alignment setup on various racecar sights, as it is common to have to reset toe trackside after contact...it's real easy to set on our carts. Pretty good at that part. Will give the 1/8" in a try....that is usually more stable (but slows turn-in, lol)

Will take a closer look at kingpin bushings and rod ends tomorrow.

Good idea on the alignment sticky...
Old 11-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
cbryan88
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Reset toe to 1/8" in, not out. Are you doing this with tires still on cart? Attached an image of the most accurate way a home mechanic can adjust toe.
Looks like you got some serious wiring under your hood there
Old 11-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I learned the alignment trick from some jeep buddies on our full size toys. It carries through directly to out carts.

That was my 72v camo cart. With batteries everywhere in the rear I had to install my 12v accessory batteries under the front cowl.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:25 AM   #9
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
I took angle iron, notched it to fit around the spindle assembly and drilled 2 holes. This does the same thing but I can bolt it to the cart. When done it sits in the corner of the garage.
azTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Question:

Since toe-in is supposed to be measured at the outer edge of the tire, should the toe-in change based on the tire's radius, or is it just an angle? To clarify, if I run 18" tires, and I used your method, I'm assuming my measurements would be taken at 9" from the center of the axle. If I were to be running 24" tires (just for argument's sake) would I still use 9" so the angle is the same, or would I use 12" so the difference between the front of tire and back of tire is consistent, since a bigger tire probably has more "rubber on the road"?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO