lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
SilkWorm SoCal
Not Yet Wild

Default Water level in batteries

Hey guys i have a question obviously. I use my cart maybe 3 times a week for 10 min intervals and once every two months for two and three days in a row for a minimum of 4 hours day....i have put in a little distilled water once but water level never seems to change. is this ok or normal? ive owned cart for about 8 months. thanks!!!
SilkWorm SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Water level in batteries

Silkworm, that's pretty normal(at least for me anyway) my batteries are pretty much the same way, I might have to put water in one cell of a battery once or twice a month, and it may just be for two or three batteries(and I have 8 6v). So, from my experience, that's pretty much the norm. Hope this helps ya' out.
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My experience so far in 2 years of ownership is that water consumption was virtually none in the first year. For the last year or so, I have had to add water once a month or so. Water consumption seems to change with age. It is also affected by how much you discharge your batteries between charging. The more charge the battery requires, the more likely it is to boil off water in the process.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Batteries are much like women. Every time you think you've got one figured out, she will change.

Your battery's water consumption isn't abnormal, but it will change.
In fact, water consumption depends on so many variables, normal is an unknown.

Check the water level about every month and if it needs water more than two months in a row, shorten the inspection interval.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Batteries are much like women. Every time you think you've got one figured out, she will change.
That's so true. Mine use to like straight distilled....but now she has a proclivity for distilled on ice with a splash of vodka. Wait....maybe it's me with the vodka? Now I can't recall....heck....it's now past 3:00 EST and the Vodka and ice are already open.

I just know water, ice, and vodka are involved. Water is at times....frozen.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:39 PM   #6
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here in good old Forrida, I have had to add water each month, 8 Deka 245's. About quart for sure, may-sept it is more. Its been this way since new. I followed instructions from here and reading, its plugged in if not driven, except for many short trips. I drive a lot, 50 plus miles a week. Distilled water only 3/8" below ring and a DPI charger.
beach cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:18 PM   #7
SilkWorm SoCal
Not Yet Wild

thanks guys for the info..can always count on you for answers and smart *** comments
SilkWorm SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:40 AM   #8
BigWes
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach cart View Post
Distilled water only 3/8" below ring and a DPI charger.
Not to hijack, but since we are on the subject here, I have a follow-up question. I just filled my batteries for the first time. They looked low so I filled with distilled water, but I filled to the bottom of the ring. I had some overflow. I know I need to clean it up with water/baking powder mixture. Can the overflow damage the batteries?
BigWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #9
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It won't damage the batteries, but it will sure make a mess of everything that it came in contact with! The worst problem is it will continue to boil out water every time you charge until the level gets low enough.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:56 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWes View Post
Not to hijack, but since we are on the subject here, I have a follow-up question. I just filled my batteries for the first time. They looked low so I filled with distilled water, but I filled to the bottom of the ring. I had some overflow. I know I need to clean it up with water/baking powder mixture. Can the overflow damage the batteries?
Technically, you may have weakened you batteries ever so slightly, but not enough to worry about.

A 6V cart battery holds roughly 1.5 gallons of electrolyte and the electrolyte is a solution of about 33% (by weight) pure sulfuric acid (H2SO4 -- SG = 1.835) and about 67% pure water (H2O -- SG = 1.000).

During normal charging and discharging, only the water is lost through gassing and evaporation. The sulfuric acid the was put in the battery at the factory does not leave the battery, unless it is part of an electrolyte spill. (It changes into lead sulfate during discharge, but lead sulfate changes back to sulfuric acid during charge, so it doesn't go away)

An ounce of liquid makes a surprisingly large puddle and is less than 1% of the electrolyte volume (and only 1/3 of that is actually sulfuric acid), so if you didn't lose more than an ounce or so from each cell (cell not battery), it probably won't make any noticeable difference in storage capacity or lifespan.

Of course, try not to overfill repeatedly, what bubbles out will eventually add up to a significant amount.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO