lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2015, 06:33 PM   #1
drek67055
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 79 marathon issues

Just picked her up a few weeks ago rebuilt the top end due to low compression. got it all put back together correctly including the ringsstart out at 125 psi starts right up has no power butbut the muffler and half knocked out some of the baffles and ones that were broken removed already burnt it gained some power back (had all the power it needs with the muffler removed). Works great in reverse (always easier to pull then push) but almost gutless going fwd. Thought it was gtg until I added another person then had no power to move forward. What else could it be? Fuel pump squirts like a champ and choking it even part way does nothing except try to kill it. Fires right up with no issues.
drek67055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2015, 09:07 PM   #2
drek67055
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 79 marathon issues

well since i cant get a reply from anyone on here and the way my keyboard was working made me sound like an idiot but anyways here is my link to the youtube channel i started for it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqYM...6BiIdrd-l_b5PG
i retorqued the cylinder bolts yeah came a little loose after it heated up a little bit and engine finally broke in (145 psi) pulled the spark plug out made sure it was gapped at .025 and burned off all the crud with my torch made a little difference took the jet out of the carb bowl nut and drilled it out one size bigger (again made an inprovement but not much) screw on the side tried adjusting it to no good screw on top pulled it all the way out (again everything looked clear) and just to be safe i took the smallest drill bit i had and drilled out the center made a big difference but still not much power after half throttle (floor it and and to half no difference is made rpm or speed) anyone else have an idea?
Old 04-23-2015, 10:13 PM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Did you put the piston in with the square hole facing the intake?

Did I see an external starter/ generator on a 79?
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Was also just thinking that if it was worn enough to do a top end, it is also worn enough to change the crankshaft seals.

You mentioned cleaning crap from the spark plug. That could indicate a ripped lower diaphragm in the fuel pump.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
keddano
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Check that your brakes and not hanging up. By rolling easier in reverse, they maybe hanging are too tight.
keddano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #6
TheGDFP
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Did you bungle the timing when it was apart?
And, the brakes is a solid lead.
TheGDFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:00 PM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Watching the videos, it did seem like the brakes were dragging, but then the engine stumbled over itself, and wouldn't run.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #8
drek67055
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

no i made sure and watched the video a few times to make sure my piston was in right didnt want to pull it twice lol i do need to put the correct fluid in the rear end as when i checked it when i did the videos as completely dry and all i had around was some used synthetic engine oil took almost a full quart so i am sure it was dry brakes were hanging up a bit at first tore them apart cleaned thoroughly put back together and adjusted best i could biggest thing i did to make an improvement was the top jet? being plugged and slightly drilled out bigger made a world of difference i know i could really use a set of new (or at least good used set of) drive sheeves yes it is a 79 according to the serial number fuel pump is working fine no oil around the crank seals even pulled the pump off the engine and turned it over (had great pressure) waiting on new video to upload of the throttle issue
Old 04-26-2015, 06:03 PM   #9
drek67055
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

and yes that is a starter gen on it lol
bungle the timing?
Old 04-26-2015, 07:52 PM   #10
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Everything I have read says a 79 should have an internal starter/ generator.

I believe they made the change a little after 1980. Maybe yours was built during the change over, or maybe it isn't the original engine. It could make a difference when buying parts.

Do you have points, or a pulsar coil?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO