lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #1
kearney
Not Yet Wild

Default driven clutch problem. Is this normal???

im trying to track down a shifting problem with my 1988 ezgo. on full throttle if i let off the peddle the belt will grab and rapidly decelerate. also when going to a slight hill from a full throttle the cart doesnt seem to downshift. funny thing was when i washed the engine off and the clutches got wet it ran perfect. then as it dried it got bad again which lead me to believe it had to be a clutch problem.

I have a brand new belt on it. I took the cover off the drive clutch and inspected it and it all seems pretty good. PSI is close to 120. So i think i have narrowed it down to the driven clutch. there is a button missing but i also noticed when i grab the moving sheath i can wobble it back and forth more that 1/4 of an inch. Basically it seems like the sheath where it rides on the shaft is wallered out. Its not supposed to be loose like that is it??? And is there a bushing that can be replaced or is it just shot? also this looks like an aftermarket comet clutch.
kearney is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-02-2015, 03:58 PM   #2
kearney
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: driven clutch problem. Is this normal???

Someone has to know. I don't know if it's supposed to be able to wobble or not. Maybe someone knows or could grab theres and give the moving sheath a wobble and see. Thank you.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:34 PM   #3
Morgan44
Gone Wild

There should be no wobble in the clutch sheave. It would be best if you could post some pics of the clutch.
Morgan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:33 AM   #4
racin161
Gone Wild

Common problem on a old clutch. The bushing is worn out and causing it to bind. You may try some dry lube at the bushing area and it may work for awhile but I think your looking for a replacement clutch or at least the bushing and pucks.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:46 AM   #5
kearney
Not Yet Wild

I cant find anywhere where they sell bushings for it. Its not the original. Its a comet clutch
Old 10-03-2015, 06:42 PM   #6
racin161
Gone Wild

Yep another common problem Could be re-bushed by a machine shop.

Lou
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO