lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-30-2016, 06:00 PM   #11
my1423
Gone Wild

Default Re: Mallory Digital CDI box

The gm hei pickup fires 4 times a rotation.
Put that directly on the 2 stroke crank 4 sparks a rotation.
You can dremmal down the pickups but they become unreliable. Very finiky!!
Modded a few for old cb750 bikes. Found pickups from atc 185 and rotor worked way better.
Use a ford crank trigger. One spark static timing.
Or ford or dodge distributer parts with the vanes that u can cut down to a single.
Then mount that in the old oil pump spot and use the mechanical and vacuum advancers.
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-30-2016, 08:14 PM   #12
TomStark
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1423 View Post
The gm hei pickup fires 4 times a rotation.
Put that directly on the 2 stroke crank 4 sparks a rotation.
You can dremmal down the pickups but they become unreliable. Very finiky!!
Modded a few for old cb750 bikes. Found pickups from atc 185 and rotor worked way better.
Use a ford crank trigger. One spark static timing.
Or ford or dodge distributer parts with the vanes that u can cut down to a single.
Then mount that in the old oil pump spot and use the mechanical and vacuum advancers.
I was not clear, the GM pick up would be for the tach only. I would still use the stock EZGO pick up for ignition. Now, if I do my EFI (or probably even if I don't) I will hook up the stock EZGO pick up to a GM 7 pin module. That would be controlled by an ECU and would have an ignition curve any way I want. Could go by manifold pressure/RPM, RPM only, or Throttle position/RPM. the GM 4 banger pick up in place of the oil pump, would run the 4 pin HEI module that would be hooked up to a tach only, not a coil. That way, as you pointed out, it would signal 4 events per rev, the same as an 8 cylinder. So I set my Autometer tach to 8 cylinders and it will read correctly. I have a tach lead on the CDI box, but the best I can do is set it to 4 cylinder, so the tach will take 2 events as 1 rev, so the tach would read half of actual engine speed. Hope this makes clear my motives! LOL! The ford 36-1 wheel would also have to be hooked up to an ECU, so would not be static timing, rather it would time what ever the curve I set in the ECU. If I put EFI on the cart, I will use a Ford wheel. The only issue is starting in reverse. The missing tooth has to go X degrees BTDC. (degrees vary with number of cylinders as I recall). So to work around that issue I would use 2 crank triggers. I would connect them by a N/O, N/C relay. I would have the forward rotation sensor on the N/C pins, and the reverse on the N/O pins. I do enjoy putting EFI on things. I have a buddy with a farm tractor, and he is interested in putting EFI on it. Should be interesting. My Corvair has the Ford wheel on it, and I am getting ready to go COP. I just need to pick up some coil drivers, have most of the wiring in place. What is nice about this ECU ius with COP and sequential injection, I will have individual cylinder fuel and timing control. So read the plugs, ADJ cylinders, put in fresh plugs, make a pass, do it again, and keep doing it till I am happy, and then I will have a bunch of sets of plugs with 1/4 mile on them, to use as needed. You can only read plugs once (to get the whole story anyway, after that first pass sort of hard to get timing info from the plug!) That is why we only would make one pass on a set of plugs for the PS car. The plugs were fine, just you can't get a 100% read off them a second time.
Tom
TomStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:39 PM   #13
mlj427
Gone Wild

Tom any pictures and info on the Corvair? My Dad had them for years.
Mike
mlj427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:46 PM   #14
TomStark
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj427 View Post
Tom any pictures and info on the Corvair? My Dad had them for years.
Mike
Here are a few. Some details, 4 wheel disc brakes (adapted from other applications, and caliper mounts made in my shop), EFI, EDIS, Digital dash, line lock, posi with billet steel side cover, Custom dual disc clutch with ceramic linings, etc.
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Corvair dash.jpg (193.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Corvair 3-4.jpg (366.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg rear brake.jpg (200.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 62-Vert_001.jpg (24.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg corvair burn out.jpg (334.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-30-2016, 08:48 PM   #15
TomStark
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Forgot to mention that one pic is when I picked the Corvair up. My wife found it sitting in a field with weeds growing through the floor. 2 years later I was driving it.
Tom
Old 01-31-2016, 12:14 AM   #16
mlj427
Gone Wild

Very nice. Cool paint job.
Mike
mlj427 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
digital cdi ignition, gm hei
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO