lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2017, 07:09 PM   #1
SlurpJ
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 build thread project 'Beg, Borrow or Steal'

So I recently picked up a G1 that was literally a barn find. It was in a dark unlit barn and I looked at it for all of 60 seconds but knew I couldn't pass it up for the price since it came with the trailer it was on. Finally got it home and looked it over and it's actually in better shape than I thought it would be. Not all banged up and minimal rust, battery tray will need work but that was to be expected. I've already got the front suspension off so I can build a lift for it since metal fab is one of my hobbies. Plan on doing a Pachanga style and I already have all the material I'll need lying around. Not sure how much lift to do yet, tossing around the idea of a 7-8" and moving everything forward 1-2" and hopefully fitting a 24-25" tire since those are easy to find because everyone buys a ATV and puts aftermarket rims and tires on. It does have the newer style clutch which is awfully big, not sure if I feel comfortable cutting that much out of the frame. I'm wondering if it can be lifted enough that the clutch would be under the frame and no notch needed? If anyone has the older style clutch for sale I'd definitely be interested. I also have the top that came with it for sale.
SlurpJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2017, 07:14 PM   #2
SlurpJ
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G1 build thread project 'Beg, Borrow or Steal'

My father who is a member here as well recently completed a G9 restore, ended up being a frame off build that turned out pretty sharp. I think the plan (hopefully) is for us to tag team it and knock it out quicker. Maybe he'll chime in!
Old 06-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #3
SlurpJ
Not Yet Wild

Thread is useless without pics so here's one of the ugly duckling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old turd 1.jpg (223.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-01-2017, 07:33 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Others may disagree, but I suggest staying away from the older clutch, only because of virtually zero parts availability for repairing it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:58 PM   #5
SlurpJ
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the tip I will definitely look into that!
Old 06-01-2017, 08:08 PM   #6
SlurpJ
Not Yet Wild

How do I get the front cowl off? I found 2 plastic screws, which are kind of a joke and will be replaced with something better. I found the 2 up top next to the cup holders. Seems like there are probably 2 under the rubber floor mat but not sure the best way to get the mats off yet. Are there any others?
Old 06-01-2017, 10:14 PM   #7
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If I remember correctly bolt in each lower corner close to wear your feet sit under the rubber and the screw type bolts up in the "cubby hole" the little dash with key and choke will need to come off also steering wheel needs to come off soak it a day or two with penetrating​ oil they can be a bear to get off
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:28 PM   #8
SlurpJ
Not Yet Wild

Finally got back to it. Front plastic is off, managed to snap off 2 of the 3 lower mounting bolts. Something tells me I'm going to have a heck of a time getting those out. Those supports are pretty rotted, not sure If I'm going to reinforce them or just replace them with some flat stock. All of the front end parts are disassembled to be cleaned up. Was originally thinking an electrolysis bath and then powdercoating at work. After looking at the bushings I can't tell if they'll come out or I would want the additional cost to replace them if they do so powder coat may not happen. May just clean everything up and POR15 it. I seem to recall reading something about filling the steering box with grease? I'll have to see if I can find that again as now would be the time to do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old turd 2.jpg (198.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-05-2017, 08:34 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If you lift it way up for more than 22s you typically get a huge angle on the cradle and that is not good. Most people make brackets that move the front of the cradle down and back a couple or few inches to center the huge tires in the wheel well, because they hit the rocker if you don't. Then you have to remove or move the rear bumper mounts to clear behind the tires usually as well. Then you should be all set, just check the brake lines they can get short and need to move the mount plate for the cables or something, or get longer ones. Depends on how far you go. All that said, 25s or more are boss on a cart IMO, I wish I had them. My 22x11 work great but huge tires are so cool. I did my lift myself in '99 when 22s were huge lol.

I don't think you can get around the clutch thing, you can always weld something on the outside of the frame before you cut/deform the inside to clear the clutch.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:50 PM   #10
SlurpJ
Not Yet Wild

I had already thought about dropping the swingarm down and moving it back if I go with a lift that size. I agree somewere around a 25" tire looks best and I'd hate to do a smaller lift only to regret it later.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha