lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2017, 07:36 AM   #11
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: 2003 G22 -- Plowmans Hot Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
Great to hear Dave, got to love Plowmans!!
Oh yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
An aluminium connecting rod, no bearings shells and splash oiling on a steel crank shaft doesn't bode well for extended upper rpm usage. A lot of G16 and up carts for sale with broken engines have had rod failure.
You've got to know your limitations, and I'm not planing on any extended runs at 33+ mph. I know that the cart will go that fast, and I'm good with that. A lot of engine failures are from abuse, not use...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2017, 07:52 AM   #12
HemiED
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Dave, I see your Navy dates. I was an AE2, 68 to 73. Last two years was as a SAR school instructor at Quonset Point before Nixon shut it down

Met my bride of 46 years there in Norfolk.
HemiED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:38 AM   #13
plowman
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiED View Post
That was my concern, but I am pretty novice at these carts. Built a lot of car motors over the years, but not one of these. I can't imagine a dipping/splash type oiling system getting too far in the upper rpm range for too long.

Hope it does for those that do though.
just to clear up a few comments about the 301 and 357 motors and oiling and top rpms, i have run these motors on the dyno for weeks on end with our camshafts @ 6k trying to find a weak link, and we started with tired motors at 140psi, the oiling is more than adequate with syn oil,after running them on the dyno until i finally gave up and installed it in one of my carts and sprayed it with one of my nos kits to the tune of a 20 shot for the rest of the summer with at least 12 two pound bottles,witch is 20 times more stress than naturally aspirated, i was able to blow the head gaskets 3 times and melt the tips off the plugs many times during the summer,but was unable to scatter the motor, so when some one tells you dont hold it to the wood because the rod will break you can laugh hysterically! i have found one way to break the rod and that is to run it out of oil the rod will weld to the crank journal and snap in half and make a beautiful window in the block! and that happens more and more do to the age of these motors, they will start consuming oil with out most knowing, and if you let it get down to 1/4 of a quart it will take out the block and fail, even totally worn out they will smoke like a train and still run stronger than most but they must have oil!!
plowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:49 AM   #14
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowman View Post
just to clear up a few comments about the 301 and 357 motors and oiling and top rpms, i have run these motors on the dyno for weeks on end with our camshafts @ 6k trying to find a weak link, and we started with tired motors at 140psi, the oiling is more than adequate with syn oil,after running them on the dyno until i finally gave up and installed it in one of my carts and sprayed it with one of my nos kits to the tune of a 20 shot for the rest of the summer with at least 12 two pound bottles,witch is 20 times more stress than naturally aspirated, i was able to blow the head gaskets 3 times and melt the tips off the plugs many times during the summer,but was unable to scatter the motor, so when some one tells you dont hold it to the wood because the rod will break you can laugh hysterically! i have found one way to break the rod and that is to run it out of oil the rod will weld to the crank journal and snap in half and make a beautiful window in the block! and that happens more and more do to the age of these motors, they will start consuming oil with out most knowing, and if you let it get down to 1/4 of a quart it will take out the block and fail, even totally worn out they will smoke like a train and still run stronger than most but they must have oil!!
Great info, thanks Don.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:55 AM   #15
HemiED
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowman View Post
Thanks so much for the detailed information Sir! I did learn on here to not add any suppliments and do run Lucas Synthetic in all of my small motors.

I am obsessive about oil changes so you give me a lot of confidence in mine holding up, thanks again!
HemiED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:40 PM   #16
Dave in VA

Yamaha

I removed the Hot Setup from the G22, added a ported and polished head and a new Plowmans remanufactured 301cc engine, and installed it in my G16 yard cart. More on this after break in.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:37 AM   #17
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

I believe you will very happy.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:12 PM   #18
plk1222
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a kit for my g2. How was your low end torque with the performance kit?
plk1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #19
Dave in VA

Yamaha

With all new clutch parts, and the proper spring for your usage, there's no comparison. I think Don has 6 different springs, for different applications. Replace the ramp shoes. If they're white, consider replacing the helix with the new style one that has black shoes with fasteners.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha