lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2018, 07:22 AM   #1
rb8484
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Time for a new clutch

Hey all. It's time to replace the primary clutch on my cart. I assume like anything else, all clutches are not created equal. What do I look for when pricing them? I cart is used on hilly terrain.
I assume my clutch is bad, as it makes a heck of a noise. I pump a shot or 2 of grease in it and the noise goes away for a few weeks then slowly comes back.
Never replaced one, I assume it can't be too hard with the puller?
Thanks in advance for any recommendations, tips and tricks!
rb8484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2018, 07:27 AM   #2
rb8484
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Time for a new clutch

Ohh, and this is on a g16 with a lift and I do pull a yard cart with it sometimes
Old 02-28-2018, 07:39 AM   #3
leschilli67
Getting Wild

I would look at the one Vegas carts gas, I just put one of their motors in mine and it came with the 780, mine is a g16 as well. Seems to be a great clutch. No it’s not hard, get you a puller and it’s pretty easy. Invest in a good one no matter what

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leschilli67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:58 AM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

In my opinion, an OEM clutch is more favorable than an aftermarket one. The primary is rebuild-able, but I've never done one. Plowmans in Flint, rebuilt one for me and it's been great. Call them and talk to Don. Great customer service.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-YAM...xUWTdQ&vxp=mtr

http://www.plowmanscarts.com/carts.c...1517585277&v=2
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:37 AM   #5
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Agreed with Dave OEM there's a place for aftermarket parts just not clutches and electronics might want to take a look at your secondary clutch also if there's a groove in the sheeve id look into replacing that as well clutches are a wear item that often get overlooked
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:27 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Hard to beat a stock clutch on a stock engine, with a swap engine that is not always true. The CVT works much better when its all in good shape, not too worn. Dished in sheaves from belt wear will make it shift different, bad ramps/shoes will also make poor shifting. The primary usually only needs new rollers or weights, some you can put in a new center bushing. If the sheave is worn that can be a problem they are way expensive for a G9 clutch now but not sure on yours. If you get some kind of replacement for stock don't forget you need a pulley for the gen/starter.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:26 PM   #7
rb8484
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Hard to beat a stock clutch on a stock engine, with a swap engine that is not always true. The CVT works much better when its all in good shape, not too worn. Dished in sheaves from belt wear will make it shift different, bad ramps/shoes will also make poor shifting. The primary usually only needs new rollers or weights, some you can put in a new center bushing. If the sheave is worn that can be a problem they are way expensive for a G9 clutch now but not sure on yours. If you get some kind of replacement for stock don't forget you need a pulley for the gen/starter.

I know nothing of these clutches. I just know it makes a pretty bad noise. I put a pump or 2 of grease in it and it goes away for a short time. I also don't have the power I use to. The cart is used on dirt with pretty steep hills. Maybe I should just take it off and send it for rebuild at plowmans? This is on my red cart in my signature. It's a g16
Old 03-06-2018, 08:41 PM   #8
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb8484 View Post
I know nothing of these clutches. I just know it makes a pretty bad noise. I put a pump or 2 of grease in it and it goes away for a short time. I also don't have the power I use to. The cart is used on dirt with pretty steep hills. Maybe I should just take it off and send it for rebuild at plowmans? This is on my red cart in my signature. It's a g16
Pull the cover off--3-10mm bolts--and see if anything is obviously broken. Check the rollers for flat spots. Totally satisfied with the Plowmans rebuild.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:07 PM   #9
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Clutches are a wear item and are the most important thing on a cart overlooked I agree with Dave pull the cover off and look for obvious also grab the outer sheeve and see if it has any play in it side to side/ up and down if grease fixes it for a short while it's probably has play in it witch is not good
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha