lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2018, 06:22 PM   #1
gravesj1s
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 gas gauge & sending unit power supply?

So Ive got a g1a5 and want to install a gas gauge with sending unit,but I'm unsure of how to supply the power to the gauge that works when the key turned to the forward position.

id prefer to splice into the key switch so that the gauge will work when the key is turned on ,I'm not that concerned with it working when in reverse.
any help on this would be greatly appreciated .
gravesj1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2018, 07:58 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 gas gauge & sending unit power supply?

There is no "switched power" on the g1s I went through this wiring a radio had to use a toggle switch to turn it on and off
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #3
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
There is no "switched power" on the g1s I went through this wiring a radio had to use a toggle switch to turn it on and off
After a quick look at a G1-A wiring diagram, there is a "main switch" which can be used for this purpose. It could switch a standard car relay powering anything (fuse and pos/neg from the battery)...
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:43 PM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sformal View Post
After a quick look at a G1-A wiring diagram, there is a "main switch" which can be used for this purpose. It could switch a standard car relay powering anything (fuse and pos/neg from the battery)...
Going strictly by memory, I think the main switch is the key switch and those only power when the cart is running.?
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:24 PM   #5
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sformal View Post
Wire color would be helpful for op
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:13 AM   #6
gravesj1s
Not Yet Wild

I pulled the key switch and removed the rubber boot . The brown wire is hot regardless of key position and the pink wire is energized only in reverse .

I know you guys are right , there doesn’t appear to be a way to tap into the key switch without a toggle .
I’m wondering if there’s a wire down in the pedal ( micro switch ) that could be used instead . Anyone look into that before ?
Old 05-30-2018, 11:25 AM   #7
gravesj1s
Not Yet Wild

Ok I think I’ve got this figured out . There are two poles located right in the key switch itself that are energized separately . One , when the key is turned to the forward position only and one when the key is turned to the reverse position only. See pic, notice to 2 copper poles with no wires attached . For reference I’m going to soder a wire to it and then run to the gas gauge . This should aleivate any need for a toggle switch or relay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C11CB7C1-EDD1-4892-9BC2-4CFF9D5682E9.jpg (151.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-30-2018, 05:37 PM   #8
gravesj1s
Not Yet Wild

I just finished installing the gas gauge and then verified it does in fact work . The only downside is it only works when the key is turned to go forward . Also , works without pressing the gas pedal . I’m not concerned with it working in reverse anyway I’m mean when your backing up you usually look behind you imo.

So here’s a few pics. I hope it helps some folks in the future .

First pic shows where to solder wire to one of the small copper poles ( its the bright yellow wire )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8110310C-7470-401A-A1AE-12C37D884301.jpg (97.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #9
gravesj1s
Not Yet Wild

Better pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 97C12178-EF06-4B16-99A6-88B33B43379C.jpg (108.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-30-2018, 05:51 PM   #10
gravesj1s
Not Yet Wild

Next I taped the new wire to the sheath holding all the other wires , put the rubber boot back on and electrical taped that all together .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33F109FF-5AAB-4374-B42B-6E3B9B274FC6.jpg (178.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 193C5219-648E-4C33-90D2-D7903615EDD9.jpg (207.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha