lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
ghost1
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 low compression

Greetings all,

I recently purchased a 1980's Yamaha G1 that runs but is very slow to start and struggles to pull any type of hill. Previous owner has replaced carb and when I got it home, I checked compression which is 90 psi. From what I have read on previous posts, this is low but before I start the tear down, I was hoping someone could confirm that number is low and might be causing those symptoms.. Thanks
ghost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2018, 11:15 AM   #2
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 low compression

Sounds like you are right on. Since it runs I would recommend checking/replacing the reeds if necessary, before moving to jug and piston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trentofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:58 AM   #3
ghost1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks trentofdestiny... I'm comfortable working on it, however, I've never done anything with reeds.. Is there a way to test, or should I just replace?
Old 08-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #4
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost1 View Post
Thanks trentofdestiny... I'm comfortable working on it, however, I've never done anything with reeds.. Is there a way to test, or should I just replace?

If they don't sit very close to the reed block ie there's a big gap then they need replaced. A little tiny gap is ok. I'm not sure the specs. Just replace them if you don't mind the extra $

Old 08-25-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost1 View Post
Greetings all,

I recently purchased a 1980's Yamaha G1 that runs but is very slow to start and struggles to pull any type of hill. Previous owner has replaced carb and when I got it home, I checked compression which is 90 psi. From what I have read on previous posts, this is low but before I start the tear down, I was hoping someone could confirm that number is low and might be causing those symptoms.. Thanks
you need to check the serial number and verify the model year. if its an 82 model year 90psi compression is ok.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:01 AM   #6
ghost1
Not Yet Wild

I've checked all around left rear bumper for serial number and can't find a thing. That is where Yamaha shows it being. I'm including a few pictures. Maybe I'm looking in wrong place?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2296[1].jpg (216.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2295[1].jpg (209.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2294[1].jpg (220.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2293[1].jpg (209.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2292[1].jpg (208.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-26-2018, 09:15 AM   #7
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default G1 low compression

Mine is missing too. Do you have the plastic tank that says Yamaha on it that goes on the engine shroud? #37 in the diagram. If you have that your cart is 83-89 like mine, if you don't it's 79-82. But that doesn't tell you if you have a 79-81 or 82. Check the number stamped into the jug.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #8
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Post better pics of the exhaust. I think I see the cross over pipe so that would make it an 82. J17 would also be stamped in the jug behind the primary clutch
Old 08-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #9
ghost1
Not Yet Wild

I found a number stamped on side of engine... J17-002175 ... Not sure if that's what I'm looking for
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2297[1].jpg (128.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2298[1].jpg (128.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2299[1].jpg (160.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-26-2018, 11:07 AM   #10
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

that's exactly what your looking for. The semi bad news is its an 82 aka J17 engine. low compression oddball. it does use some different parts than other g1's. The good news is 90 psi is good compression for that engine.

Don't freak out its a good little engine once all the small things fixed that are common on all g1s. The best thing for this little engine is crank seals if you havent all ready done them. not a bad job to do. $20 ish dollars for the seals and a 20 dollar puller for the primary clutch. this is the source for weird running issues for a 2 stroke engine.

refer to this post for all its differences.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...g-catalog.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha