lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2019, 05:52 PM   #1
Docked Wage
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 2013 G29 Needs choke until warmed up fully?

Today was a brisk 64 degrees and we needed to pull the choke and hold it while driving the cart for a couple blocks. Is this normal at this temp?
Docked Wage is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2019, 06:33 PM   #2
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 2013 G29 Needs choke until warmed up fully?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docked Wage View Post
Today was a brisk 64 degrees and we needed to pull the choke and hold it while driving the cart for a couple blocks. Is this normal at this temp?
No, you shouldn't need choke for more than it takes to get the engine running. Check your airbox to make sure the cover is on tight. You may also have a partial clogging of the main jet due to ethanol gas.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:52 PM   #3
Docked Wage
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thank you Sandbagger. Will check the airbox tomorrow. Hopefully it's that simple.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:01 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Agreed.

My G9 (if) I need to choke it, it's only enough to make the engine fire up. After that it may be a little sluggish for the first 20-30 feet but after that it's fine.

My club car (if) I have to pull the choke, it's just enough to make the engine fire. AFter that if you keep the choke pulled it just stumbles.

I don't have to choke either one under most circumstances.

Either way, driving the first few blocks at least, it's a good idea to drive it easy for a bit to allow the engine to warm up. You wouldn't hop in your car first thing in the morning and go full throttle, you let it warm up a bit first. Golf cart is no different, it just doesn't have the benefit of being able to sit there and idle while you put your seatbelt on, play with the radio, etc. before you start to drive.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:32 PM   #5
Docked Wage
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The cart won't even start to move unless the choke is held closed. Definitely not trying to make top speed runs when it's cold. It will barely get out of it's own way for a couple of blocks without the choke until it's warmed up.

The Air Box is in place.

Can someone recommend a good seller here on the forum that I can get a carb kit from?
Old 01-31-2019, 10:25 PM   #6
JRL
Gone Wild

Probably don't need a kit. Won't hurt obviously, but if all airbox connections are tight and filter is in good condition and seated, remove the carb and pull the bowl. Carefully look at the jets and blow them out. If you have a hollow float, handle it carefully. Remove the float and needle and blow out the fuel inlet. Make sure you have fuel in the tank after completing the above steps. Fuel filter, fuel lines, and pump good? Could have other issues, but this is where you start. You haven't recently done the K&N "race" filter" upgrade? Factory filter is best for unmodified engines.
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:16 PM   #7
Docked Wage
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the advice. I'll dig into the carb tomorrow.

We just bought this cart so I'll know more after I dig into it.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:50 AM   #8
Docked Wage
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Pulled the carb and cleaned it thoroughly. Also replaced the fuel pump and filter. Drained the tank and filled it with 89 Octane Ethanol Free gas and the cart now runs perfectly.

Thanks to those that replied!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190202_1144290.jpg (179.7 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha