lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
cartboy
Gone Wild

Default 1986, Limped to a Halt

I've got a 1986 gas E Z Go we use to go to the boat dock. It replaced our 1988 gas E Z Go that we used to go to the boat dock.

It has finally wheezed & limped to a halt, to where it won't even fire.

Our local cart guy, who used to help keep our stuff running, died, and the folks who took over his business don't want to mess with these any more, because it is so expensive to do so, and that disappoints their customers.

Anyone here think they can guide me through a self-fix, or should I just put it on craigslist for $100?

Thanks
cartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
holmsey2012
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1986, Limped to a Halt

spark,fuel and compression are the place to start.
holmsey2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
cartboy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmsey2012 View Post
spark,fuel and compression are the place to start.
I guess what I was trying to say is that I'm not the mechanical type in that regard, and the folks I relied on aren't there any more.

The guy that took over the place that used to take care of me, and really doesn't want to, gave me some hints.

For the last month or so, until it quit running altogether, it had a "wheeze" or a "whistle", when it was running. When I said it might be a manifold leak, or something, he said, or just a buildup of carbon. I took that to mean in the exhaust system.

I've gone as far as put a full charge on the battery and check the plug, which looks good.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I have an 86 which I rebuilt so I know the engine quite well. I have the time and would be willing to walk you through a diagnosis. The worst case scenario is that you need to rebuild the engine which would cost you ~$200 for a top end and ~$400 for a complete engine. That said the very first and most important test is a compression test. For this you will need to beg, borrow or steal a tester. If you are in the 140 psi range you have a new engine (unlikely I know) between 100 and 139 psi you have a serviceable engine, between 70 and 99 psi you have cause for concern and less than 69 psi you are in trouble (I think I know what the number will be). So come back with the number and we can get you back on the road.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
cartboy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
I have an 86 which I rebuilt so I know the engine quite well. I have the time and would be willing to walk you through a diagnosis. The worst case scenario is that you need to rebuild the engine which would cost you ~$200 for a top end and ~$400 for a complete engine. That said the very first and most important test is a compression test. For this you will need to beg, borrow or steal a tester. If you are in the 140 psi range you have a new engine (unlikely I know) between 100 and 139 psi you have a serviceable engine, between 70 and 99 psi you have cause for concern and less than 69 psi you are in trouble (I think I know what the number will be). So come back with the number and we can get you back on the road.

Dave
Thanks.

Like I said I am trying to decide whether to make this a personal project or a $100 item on Craiglist. For the former I need help from someone like you.

I had an '88, which this one appears to be identical to, for a long time. When the compression went on it, we got this one. It was rebuilt by a young man with a small engine shop, and it had been his Uncle's for a long time. It's personalized with his Uncle's initials and has a little radio, which we don't use.

It ran good when we got it, say two years ago, and for quite awhile until it started chattering at speed. Then the wheezing started. Now it won't fire.

I've got the manuals.

I'm in charge of a fleet of electric RXV's and I've got a helper guy who likely has a compression tester. He seems to have one of everything.

Thanks again.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
cartboy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post

Dave
Old 10-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #7
holmsey2012
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

it's not as bad as it seems. These motors are pretty simple and it will be a great learning experience. Dave and others on this site will walk you right through it. My advise is take a lot of pictures as you go and be sure to change the crank seals while you have the motor out. $250 and she'll be running like a champ. It will be fun to follow your progress.
holmsey2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

30 psi? OK diagnosis over she is done. Now it is your call, do you want to fix it or sell it? If you fix it you will need a clutch puller and a cheap two arm steering wheel puller (as Holmsey quite rightly states we will need to change the crankshaft seals). The seals are about $7 and we also need some new exhaust gaskets which are pennies. If on the other hand you decide to craigslist it and you are in southern Virginia or North Carolina I would exceed your wildest expectations with an offer of $105

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
cartboy
Gone Wild

Sounds like fun.

Speaking of exhaust seals, that is what I was suspected when the "wheezing" started, that it was exhaust. Now when I crank it, it is trying to fire, and the smoke from what is burning is coming up from the engine, not the exhaust pipe.

I might make this a project for next Spring.

Thanks again, I'll mull it over.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
The Oracle
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I say go for the rebuild
The Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO