lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
MelissaTXRn
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 1982 G1 Sometimes have to push start

Weirdest thing..... Our G1 (82) starts and goes fine, UNTIL we stop! Then, most of the time we have to push it to get it to go again. It sounds like it is going to start and even may rock forward a hair, but doesn't actually start or go. If we leave it for about 20 minutes it will start and go again fine OR if we choose to push it, it will start up and go again. What the heck is going on with this thing?
Drove around the road yesterday and had to push it to get it to go with a crowd of people watching.
Thanks for any info!!!
Melissa
MelissaTXRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1982 G1 Sometimes have to push start

That is a classic sign that the crank seals need to be replaced. Make sure there are no leaks between the carb and the jug. Didn't you have an issue with a cracked carb flange?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Field6565
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Marathon View Post
That is a classic sign that the crank seals need to be replaced. Make sure there are no leaks between the carb and the jug. Didn't you have an issue with a cracked carb flange?
I agree. Replace the crank seals and it should run like new again.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
MelissaTXRn
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Marathon View Post
Yes I did, but after I took it off, I found that the crack doesn't go all the way thru. I may order a new one anyway.
I kind of thought it may be crank seals. Ugh!!! Thanks a bunch
Old 12-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
MelissaTXRn
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Field6565 View Post
I agree. Replace the crank seals and it should run like new again.
thanks so much. I will keep y'all informed and add new pics as I go.
Thanks again
Old 06-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
MelissaTXRn
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Well, it's been a while. I have changed the seal on one side. Working on the clutch side now. Looking for a clutch puller in this dang shop. My dad "swears I have one or two" lol
Old 11-24-2017, 07:28 AM   #7
goliwagmo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Our '95 Club Car DS is exhibiting this same exact behavior. It's in the shop now and I forwarded them a link to this post. Since this thread was posted in 2013 with no conclusion, I'm curious to know how it turned out (did replacing the crankshaft seals solve the problem?). Moreover, if it did solve it, I'd like to understand how and why the crankshaft seals could possibly cause the cart to behave this way.
goliwagmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #8
Lochlin
Gone Wild

That year CC are 4 strokes, right? If so being that the G1 is a two stoke there will be little similarities between the two. Crank seals in the 4 strokes aren't as critical to fuel delivery as they are to 2 strokes. You may want to post your query into the dedicated gas Club Car section. Those dudes there will get you all fixed up.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

2 stroke intakes into the crank, then the piston comes down and pushes it up into the cylinder through the ports. Leaky seals mix air with the fuel mixture, the slower the engine is going the more it messes up the mixture and loses compression in the crank. So they usually run at higher rpm but idle gets very bad. Heat will make the engine expand and make it worse. Also if rings are worn heat can make it run worse as cylinder expands.

4 strokes do not have this issue the crank is full of oil. Rings can wear out but take longer to do so. Usually a wont run hot issue is ignition related in a 4 stroke, or head gasket maybe.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:17 PM   #10
jjastram
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaTXRn View Post
Yes I did, but after I took it off, I found that the crack doesn't go all the way thru. I may order a new one anyway.
I kind of thought it may be crank seals. Ugh!!! Thanks a bunch
My intake looked the same way, like the crack didn't go all the way through. I replaced it anyway and it ran a lot better.
jjastram is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha