lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
Lumpy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Pulsar coil

Ok I have an 87 Marathon. The manual I have says it has points but I will be darned if I see any. I have the flywheel off and can see a small black plastic box with 2 wires. Is this a Pulsar coil? If so, can it be checked, and or adjusted? Is there some type of gap adjustment that can be set? The cart did run when taken apart, just ran poorly so we tore it down to check the obviously non existant points. Any help will be appreciated as I am in way over my head here.
Lumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
Morgan44
Gone Wild

Default Re: Pulsar coil

Yes that is the pulsar, but someone smarter than me will have to tell you how to test it. No points.
Morgan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

That's the pulsar. The adjustment is the mounting ring The screws should be centered in the slots. You should be able to see an indexing mark on the mount ring.

Resistance should be 70-150 ohms between the red and blue wires.

Try this 85 manual. I think it's section L for ignition.

EDIT: I see page L 12 says 120-180 ohms for the pulsar coil.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I think the basic problems these things have are poor ignition, poor compression, and poor fuel delivery.

Poor compression is worn rings, worn cylinder, or galled piston.

Poor ignition is usually corroded wires, or fouled spark plug.

Poor fuel delivery is usually worn seals, ruined diaphragms in the fuel pump, or clogged carburetor.

Ripped fuel pump lower diaphragm will allow fuel directly into the crankcase, foul out the plug, and make you think it is an ignition problem.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:45 PM   #5
Lumpy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the input folks.

Tested the compression yesterday before tearing out the motor. I was amazed as it had 135 pounds compression. I seriously expected the compression to be terrible based on how the cart was running.

Tore down the fuel pump for cleaning and managed to tear the gasket. Made a new gasket yesterday.

Been through the carb twice for cleaning.

Currently running an electric fuel pump but will be trying the original pump when the motor goes back in.

I am just trying to get this thing running halfway decent so I can use it on a planned camping trip in a couple weeks. Future plans are a complete rebuild this winter on a second motor I picked up. I just need it to run halfway decent for a couple days.

My problem is that I have a very hard time getting the motor RPMs up. Most of the time I have to choke the heck out of it to get it started but then it just wants to crawl along unless I get lucky and it takes off. As soon as I let off the gas though, it is back to square one in regards to getting it back up to any kind of speed. If I can get the RPMs up, and stay on the accellerator, it seems to do ok. Seems to run a hair better in reverse.

Where Im taking it is VERY busy with golf cart, quad, and motorcycle traffic. My trying to get the thing up to speed with it in its current condition is sure to upset anyone stuck behind me and frustrate the hell out of me.

Thanks guys, keep the ideas coming.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
Currently running an electric fuel pump but will be trying the original pump when the motor goes back in.
That's likely your problem. The carbs on these motors are not setup to work with an electric pump. The pump will deliver enough pressure to overcome the needle/seat. That leads to too much fuel. Have you pulled the plug to see what it looks like?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
Lumpy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Marathon View Post
That's likely your problem. The carbs on these motors are not setup to work with an electric pump. The pump will deliver enough pressure to overcome the needle/seat. That leads to too much fuel. Have you pulled the plug to see what it looks like?
Plug was kinda dirty so I cleaned it up. I was getting good spark.

The first electric fuel pump I put on was to much and I had gas spewing out of the overflow. I put on a different pump with a lower gpm rating and that stopped my spewing issue.

Wouldnt the fact that I have to choke it like crazy to get it going point to a lack of fuel as opposed to an overabundance of it? Puting the electric pump on (after damaging the original pump gasket) didnt really change how the thing was running. I will be trying the original fuel pump again once the motor goes back in the cart.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #8
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Sorry, I missed that part.

If you remove the air filter hose going to the carb, and put your hand over the carb inlet, can you feel any pressure coming out of the carb while cranking, or is it only vacuum?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #9
Lumpy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Marathon View Post
Sorry, I missed that part.

If you remove the air filter hose going to the carb, and put your hand over the carb inlet, can you feel any pressure coming out of the carb while cranking, or is it only vacuum?
Thats a good question. Unfortunately I wont be able to answer that question until I get time later this week to re-install the motor.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO