lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
tdump
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2 cycle ez-go,is it worth messing with?

Ok, I worked on some lawnmowers for a guy and he said he had a old 3 wheel cart he would give me.
This is what it was. I was hoping for electric but it is 2 cycle gas.
the battery is a 03 so I would say it had been under all the trees and crap since 04 or so.
still has darkly colored gas in the filter. appears complete but the rear wheels would not roll and I hooked cables to the battery but can not make any thing turn over. I dont exactly how it is supposed to start as the key switch is just a on off like a electric cart.Even the forward reverse switch appears similar if not the same.
It has a strange bunch of clutch looking stuff that appears intact and belts appear good.
I have NO idea if this is worth messing with. I have what most would consider "sinister" plans for it if this engine stuff is hopeless.
I would like to have a better understanding of the clutch system.
Basicly this post is a request for advice and ideas of what to check and so forth. I wish it was a sparky. But it was free.
I have a useable top and frame with only minor repair needed on the aluminum tubeing at the front.I have the seat cushion, but the foam and vinal and plywood are rotten. The rubber seals and bottom trim and seat brackets are ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00044.JPG (346.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00046.JPG (329.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00043.JPG (355.1 KB, 0 views)
tdump is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Default Re: 2 cycle ez-go,is it worth messing with?

Heck yes!!! First things first, roll the old drive belt off there by rolling it off the rear end clutch (just like an old bike chain) and see if you can spin the engine over by hand with the clutch on the engine. This should also allow the cart to roll freely provided brakes are free. That starter generator looks pretty nasty, I'm betting it is the reason you can't get anything to turn over. Second test would be take that belt off and see how or if it turns.

How the clutches operate: the drive (engine) clutch closes with RPM, and the driven (rear end) clutch opens with RPM.

Oh, and these don't idle - the key simply allows juice to the micro switch on the pedal, which starts the engine at first press of the pedal, and kills it when released. Reverse is an electrical connection, hence all the wires - for reverse the engine actually spins backwards!
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
tdump
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It appears you are working on a similar if not the same cart.
I would love to have those old style drink holders!
I am not to up on these things. I know some folks that use them at the farm park during the 4th of july weekend and they smoke and make noise.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

If running the correct fuel:oil ratio, smoke should be pretty much non-existent. These run on a mix of 128:1 (1 oz per gallon) but if unhooking the governor and really beating on it most like a little more oil (100:1 or so).

My 3 wheeler project has officially been put on hold since the addition to the fleet of a Harley Davidson which has an almost identical 2 stroke motor. The Harley actually runs though, or at least it did before I took it all apart.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

93 is on the money but with the proviso "is it worth it to you". I rescued an 86 (below) in far worse condition than your one. Now in terms of a golf cart she isn't much, but to me she is a great cart that can out perform any four stroke EZGO. Assuming the worst case you need a complete engine rebuild ~$400 a rebuild on the starter ~$100 new clutches ~$400 brakes ~$100 and assorted miscellaneous parts. So you are going to have to put at least $1000 into this project plus a lot of sweat equity. This is only worth doing if you enjoy messing with junk, and of course a lot of guys do. It really is your call will you enjoy the rebuild and will you enjoy traveling around in an old cart?
If the answer is no then move it on but please don't scrap it, lots of folk get there goodies from resorting that stuff.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #6
tdump
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

No I saved it from being scrapped. I wouldnt do that.
But I must admit, I dont have alot of intrest in this particular unit.I have so many other projects and the income only covers some.I refurb and "play" with old garden tractors and cars to. If this was a sparky, my neighbor needs 1 for use around the farm and I would patch it up and trade it off to him.
Yea, I like messing with junk.
This was running 2 weeks after this photo.and it is in the shop under a 1/4 inch of dust because I keep putting things ahead of it and the engine needs babbit poured.
And the 400 ez-go is a project I took on to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26-t-5.JPG (77.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-25-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
tdump
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I finally pumped up the tires and unloaded it today. I took a prybar and wiggled the belt and such and I dont think the motor is locked down.
It wiggled back and forth 1/2 inch no problem. I think the no roll is brake shoe rust.
My neighbor is getting a 3 wheel electric thursday from a scrap yard that is complete except for wheels and a couple nicknaks. We hope to get it going. I may just post a want to swap ad in the classifieds and see if someone has a sparky in similar condition that they would swap for this gasser.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
tdump
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I moved it back into the woods out of the way today.I put 2 tires on the back that hold air.
The motor is not stuck. The rear hubs are stuck solid,dont know if it is rust or what.
IF and when I get caught up I will remove the starter generator and see if I can get it cleaned up and working.If the motor aint stuck there could life in this thing.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:44 AM   #9
holmsey2012
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It's probably the brake cables. disconnect them at the wheel by pulling the pins and tap levers with a hammer and they will free up.
holmsey2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:28 PM   #10
tdump
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well,once I repair the roof support that broke on my brown 4 wheel cart I may try to get this in the shop to see if it can be made to run.
I need any and all pointers on what to do. I will first free up the brakes and rear end.
The fact the engine does not idle means I will need to take the belt off to get the engine running right correct?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO