lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2017, 07:41 AM   #1
Denzone
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Battery question...

Okay, I might show my ignorance here, but I have a question regarding batteries. I currently have an 2003 EZGO TXT Limo that is 36v (6 @ 6v). I do plan on upgrading to 48v in the foreseeable future for range/speed. Initially, I thought of adding 2 more 6v batteries, but have decided against it due to the added weight. So, that puts 6 @ 8v batteries, which I completely understand. However, after talking to neighbor, they said they have 4 @ 12v batteries for 48v. Now I know that he has a ClubCar, but would I be able to do that as well?

I know about upgrading the controller, charger, etc. so just thinking about how I want to do batteries...

Thanks in advance and so far everyone has helped with my other questions.

DF
Denzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #2
Scoots
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery question...

Stick with 6 8v’s if you are going to upgrade to 48v. You will have more storage capacity with 6 batteries than you would have 4 12v
Scoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:08 AM   #3
Denzone
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
Stick with 6 8v’s if you are going to upgrade to 48v. You will have more storage capacity with 6 batteries than you would have 4 12v
Thanks... was just thinking that 4 batteries would weigh less than 6.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:26 AM   #4
Scoots
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes it would weigh less, you would save 100 lbs roughly. You would have to buy a new tray for the 4 batteries, adding extra cost that I wouldn’t think would be worth it. Besides if your going to speed it up as well, you’ll be going backwards going to 12v batteries
Old 10-09-2017, 08:36 AM   #5
Denzone
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
Yes it would weigh less, you would save 100 lbs roughly. You would have to buy a new tray for the 4 batteries, adding extra cost that I wouldn’t think would be worth it. Besides if your going to speed it up as well, you’ll be going backwards going to 12v batteries
Thanks again...
Old 10-09-2017, 08:37 AM   #6
Scoots
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denzone View Post
Thanks again...

You Betcha
Old 10-09-2017, 09:11 AM   #7
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Another thought to keep in mind is that 12 volt GC batteries rarely last as long as 8 or 6 volt GC batteries due to the densely packed cells required to make the extra voltage. IE the plates are closer together and tend to short out easily...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO