lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2020, 08:17 PM   #21
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Workhorse and MPT...I have my work cut out for me

I have always used it to start fires burning yard trimmings and stuff. Works awesome and doesn’t “flash” like gasoline does. Burns slow like kerosine
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2020, 11:12 AM   #22
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Alright...first run and drive of the MPT...drove it up and around the neighborhood. Didn't seem to have a ton of power going up hill, but made it out and back no problem...started up again without issue once I got back. Small gas leak at the carb bowl that needs to be addressed, but with change of gas, swapped carb to one that I knew worked, changed the igniter out to one for Pre-MCI, and all worked well. Needs a seat repair, fix the intake air box/filter, fix the gas gauge, a little more air in the tires, and it will be done.

Next is the bigger Workhorse, but at least I have a functioning model to use.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:39 AM   #23
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Super. Glad to see you are progressing nicely. Keep it up.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:18 PM   #24
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Anyone have a good way of bench testing my engine for compression? Drill I have won't turn it over more than a turn or two. JUst curious if I need to have the carb and exhaust hooked up, or will it work with open manifolds? Thing seems like it has plenty of compression...was reportedly rebuilt, but had a note tied to it that said no compression. I have no confidence in the that was working on it in the past to have adequately tested for compression.
Old 11-01-2020, 12:36 PM   #25
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

You can do a leak down test but you need the special kit to do it. Other than that you need to spin the engine fast enough to get a good reading on a compression tester. No need for carb or manifolds! I usually use a big drill to spin it though.
Old 11-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #26
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the response Cart...I'll lag it down to the work bench and get out the 1/2" drive drill with second handle...too much kick back on my battery powered drill.

Valve stems look even across the top, one exhaust valve had too much lash, the other was tight, no lash. Intake valves were spot on. Adjusted the exhaust valves...hoping compression is good. Supposed to be a rebuilt engine...so if compression is low, I would guess the rings might be installed upside down. Really hoping I don't have to tear it down.
Old 11-01-2020, 01:18 PM   #27
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

The tight valve may have been the issue.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:31 PM   #28
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That's what I am hoping...just installed the engine and all associated bits and pieces...just need to do the wiring. This cart was dragged around a bit without the engine in it, wiring dangling, so there are several that are chewed up, exposed wire through insulation, missing connections, etc. Bit of a mess, but shouldn't be too much trouble getting it sorted out. Glad I tested the S/G before I installed it. Brushes were shot. Pulled some out of the S/G that was in this one, and was missing one post...seems to work, at least for now. Got new ones ordered, but these should be adequate for testing and getting it running. Hoping the compression is ok...we should find out tonight, or tomorrow some time.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:20 AM   #29
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, still not running. can't get gas to the carb...or possibly through the carb. Compression is 165 and 155, or there abouts. Fuel pump works, getting strong pulse from the engine. Unhook the carb and it will pull fuel quick. Restriction is in the carb, so likely needle valve or stuck float. Thought i cleaned it well...Another day, at least. Should be getting two new in box carbs on Saturday, so may just wait.

I will share, if your starter/generator quits...it is likely the brushes. I swapped out the brushes from the bad S/G with brushes from a known good S/G, and it works like a champ. Now, if i could figure out how to replace a boogered up field post, I will have a spare S/G.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:03 AM   #30
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This thing is killing me....I hate wiring issues. I cannot get spark to save my life. Both the WH and MPT are set up as pre-MCI...MPT was working. Swapped ignitor, ignition switch, and coil from the MPT...still no spark. Swapped out plugs, nothing. It is wired per the wiring diagram, so no inadvertent grounds that I can find. Seems like a ground is keeping the coil from firing, like a kill switch is engaged. Crazy, and can't find the problem. When I put the new ignitor in, and even with the old ignitor, the lights would come on through the switch, I try to start with the pedal, it would turn over, but no spark. Lights wouldn't work anymore. That made me think the switch was bad. I have an old TXT ignition switch, and will take the entire light circuit out and see what I have...maybe the ground is somehow jumping from there.
As I was looking the entire harness over, I found a place in the harness where the wire loom dropped down enough that a turned front tire would impact it, and it was rubbed raw...a few exposed wires. One blue/White wire, one red wire, and one yellow wire. I think they are all lighting...so shouldn't be impacting my starting. I also found that the brake switch light wires were simply cut off and dangling...still hot. This thing is driving me crazy.
Would the shorted light wires possibly kill my ignitor or coil? I have a spark tester hooked up, and verified that it works off another engine...Every once in a while, I will get a very faint light in the bulb on the tester, but not much, and not consistently. What am I missing? Anyone find a crazy grounding location that wasn't obvious that kept a machine from firing? BTW, I know my grounds are good through the frame, and engine...I can get quick full continuity from any part of the frame to the engine or battery.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO