lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
toyman01
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Lessons learned...

I am the proud new owner of a 97 TXT Golf Cart. What a learning experience it has been. I bought it at an auction last weekend and for the first few hours of ownership it ran like a champ.

Then forward quit. Being a fair electronics guy I got out my trusty meter and found the forward micro switch wasn't making contact. A little adjusting and problem solved.

A little later it stopped all together. No forward, no reverse, no nothing. A little more trouble shooting reveled some really shoddy repairs to some of the battery cables. We were at a antique tractor and engine show at the time so I got one of our tractors to tow me back to our display area. I flipped the run/tow switch and off we went.

Half way there the rear wheels on the cart locked up. I couldn't find anything wrong with it at the time and it would roll fine at slow speeds so we pulled it back to camp slowly. Pulled the seat and removed and cleaned every connection. One of the connections consisted of the bare wire held to the battery with a hose clamp.

After cleaning everything it still would not run, so I dug deeper into the bowels of the beast. Turns out the control was toast, as in all the magic smoke had been released, probably when the rear wheels locked. So we loaded it on the trailer behind all the tractors and hauled it home. I have spent hours on the interweb reading and researching. I have learned a lot.

The lessons learned:

Just because it runs doesn't mean it will last.

Cheap isn't always a good thing when it come to golf carts. There is a reason the dealers charge what they do.

Research pays off. Could have saved me the cost of a control.

The board search function is your friend.

Working on Golf Carts is a blast! I'm glad I bought a lemon!

The control is replaced with a DCX500 I found used. New cables will be going on this weekend. Lights and turn signals will be happening soon so I can get it registered with the town for street use. From there the sky is the limit. I appreciate all the knowledge amassed on this board. Y'all will be sick of me before you know it.

Last edited by toyman01; 09-17-2009 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: Spelling
toyman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lessons learned...

Yep! Buying at auction is not for the weak of heart Keep us posted
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:21 AM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman01 View Post
One of the connections consisted of the bare wire held to the battery with a hose clamp.
And all this time I thought that only Club Cars were wired this way!

Welcome to the madness!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
Katshot
Getting Wild

Your "magic smoke" statement brought back memories of GM SET school many years ago. Our instructor used those same words to describe how electronic components work. Gotta keep the magic smoke in them! thanks for the memories.
Welcome.
Katshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:00 AM   #5
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
The control is replaced with a DCX500 I found used.

That's not going to turn into another lesson learned, is it?

My parents' got an old CC from my bro-n-law. It was given to them. Now, that everyone around them has their own, and much newer and better carts, she wants a newer and better cart but my dad doesn't want to spring for a newer one since she HAS a cart now. So you are right, cheap or free isn't always better. He would have bought her a good one if she hadn't been impatient and wanted that free one.
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Hey the cheaper you get the cart, the more you get to put in to it. There is a lesson learned!!!
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
toyman01
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledRotten View Post
That's not going to turn into another lesson learned, is it?
It's installed and works great, much better than the stock one. Also came with a warranty. I decided to over size it in hopes that a 500 amp control would be more durable than a 275. It will also save me from having to change it again if I decide to go with over size tires.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
It's installed and works great, much better than the stock one. Also came with a warranty. I decided to over size it in hopes that a 500 amp control would be more durable than a 275. It will also save me from having to change it again if I decide to go with over size tires.
Another valuable lesson.............money WELL $pent.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #9
toyman01
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I's try not to do stupid twice...

Got the cart out a little while ago and buzzed up and down the street. What a hoot. My boys love it. I can see this being as bad a hobby as autocross.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

I did quite a bit of trail riding at one time this weekend, and got a controller heating beeping signal (according to another member here), so if I get too many of those beeps in the near future, I might be shopping for a bigger controller myself.

Glad yours works out well.
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO