lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2018, 03:18 PM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 91 G9 sputters and dies - stumped!

Nope that wasn't it. Gas was definitely a weird color but didn't smell nad... clean tank and new fresh gas... exact same thing. If nothing else, at least it is 1 more thing off the list...

When it acts up if you pull the intake hose off the carb ita very wet with gas all around the opening. Maybe it is timing? Possibly exhaust is restricted somehow? Would the governor cause this somehow? I have noticed just now the throttle doesn't close all the way when you let off, it hangs open a good bit. But even if I disconnect the throttle cable and just work the carb by hand it still does the same thing...

I've put up a quick video. Pleaae ignore the wiring mess and general mess overall (it is a $350 cart...), that will all be cleaned up as soon as I get the dern thing running for more than a minute at a time.

Video here. Note I was not changing the gas pedal, I was holding it steady at about 1/3 throttle the entire time. And the noise in the video sounds like knocking, but it's not. That's it backfiring through the carb. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7BvRTCVt9U
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2018, 04:40 PM   #12
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You could try unhooking the muffler to see if that helps but generally they only get gumed up when they are ran a long time with bad oil rings.... Try running it with a gravity fed fuel supply maybe the pump it's blowing fuel passed the needle I'm running out of ideas to try haha
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:19 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Lol me too. Unbolting the muffler some is on my list, and I was actually thinking the same thing with gravity feed. Adjusting the throttle and governor cables are first on my list.

If all else fails will pull the head and clean it out. Looking through the spark plug hole it's pretty nasty in there. Wondering if that is contributing to the fouling
Old 04-26-2018, 08:08 PM   #14
CAMPERCART2013
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I would get the carb functioning properly first should not even be open until after engine is turning over and should definitely be closed when released. Just my opinion but I would start there alot of people including myself in the beginning think of these as snowmobile or lawn mower engines and they are not my throttle cable has a little slack in it and you can fine tune it under the floor board and at transaxle by the governor. Make sure it closes the carb when pedal is released and adjust for wot after you get it running good. Keep up the good work and don't give up. You are gonna have a blast once you get it running good
CAMPERCART2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:25 PM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Thanks :) im looking forward to getting it going. Basically it will serve purpose to get the mail and take out the trash (we live about 1000ft from the road way out in the country) and driving around with the kids on the property. But I do have an update. Installed the lift kit tonight and wow what a difference. Already had a set of 20" tires left over from another project and they fit great now :)

As for the drivability issue I've figured out what is going on. Carb is good. Adjusted the cables per the repair manual and they were just barely out of adjustment so no change there. Checked valves again, good. Loosened exhaust bolts... still good. While at TDC checking the valves I made a mark on the primary clutch for TDC With some neon green paint. Put it all back together and still the same exact behavior so I hit it with a timing light now that I have a reference mark. When it's running, it's 20-30 degrees advance, great. Then as soon as it starts missing and sputtering I lose the timing light which means losing spark. Spark is very intermittent after that point, or very weak. When the timing light would flash it would then sputter and backfire. Let off the gas pedal for 5 seconds and hit it again, great spark and timing for a very short time then it loses spark and sputter and pops again.

I suspect the crappy ignitor module. It's getting wicked hot and it's the 2nd one I've gotten from amazon. I guess it's time to search for another. Anyone here got a reccomendation for one, short of paying $400 for an OEM ignitor? Or a spare used one they know works? Or if anyone has one I could borrow to try that's somewhat local, I'm near hinesville/savannah GA would be greatly appreciated. This one is going back to Amazon, (gotta love amazon they let you return anything) don't mind paying for another one but just trying to keep it reasonable.

I'll be sure to post some progress pics before, during, and after I've finished with it in the build section. Once I get it running right the rest will go pretty quick... paint, seat, have an old 4wheeler I parted.out I plan to steal the racks and bumper from and fab up some mounts to make it functional. I was thinking dump bed but 4wheeler racks are free :) couple spots on the frame I need to weld supports, nothing major just around the battery tray. Undecided whether i want to put a top on it or not yet...
Old 04-27-2018, 06:36 AM   #16
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/golf-...9-igniter.html
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:35 AM   #17
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Thanks, but that one is gone.

Original part number is jg5-82305-00. The aftermarket ones say they work for jg5-82305-00, jg5-82305-01, and jg5-82305-02. The "00" is $300 and change, but you can buy the "02" brand new for under 200. Does anyone know the difference?

Is there anything else thay would cause the ignitor tor get real hot and stop sending Spark? I wouldn't think the pickup would do what this is doing, simply cutting power by letting off the gas and then stepping back on the pedal immediately (temporarily) resumes spark. I would have to believe if it were the pickup getting out of spec due to heat, it would wait until it cools completely before working again.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:13 AM   #18
CAMPERCART2013
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Didn't know you were running a aftermarket ignitor. I would not waste anymore of your time or money on them. You might be able to get a good used one from someone on here.
CAMPERCART2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #19
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Yeah, everywhere I look I see the exact same ignitor. Really have to search deep to find an OEM one... it will be here Monday. I can't wait :)
Old 04-30-2018, 06:01 PM   #20
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Just thought I'd update... new ignitor arrived today and I drove it a good 9 or 10 laps around the yard (4-5 miles) and it didn't cut out once! Ran semi great lol... ran great up to about 1/3 throttle then bogged like crazy anything past that which I attribute to the airbox not being sealed (at all lol). I'll work on that tonight , along with cleaning up the wiring and welding a battery support back where it has rusted through and half disappeared :)

Things are beginning to look up! From here it's easy and fun stuff to make it look presentable. Becauae right now, it's anything but lol

On that note, any tips to painting the plastic body so it sticks? Besides the usual... clean it real well, scuff it, clean it again, prime and paint?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha