lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2009, 10:01 AM   #1
tjc02002
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 - exhaust and carburetor?

I am just wondering if an exhaust, say a banshee pipe and silencer, and some larger carburetor would make a huge difference in power for the G1. How much power can you get out of a G1 engine if I shave down the head and do a pipe and carb? is it worth it?

Thanks for the help. I just got my G1 and I want to make sure I get the right stuff and dont waste my time.
tjc02002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 - exhaust and carburetor?

Sure you can, though you need to work the porting for it to really put out. Some have put a 250 sled motor in, the ignition can be adapted. There are threads about this stuff if you start looking hard. Be careful you can roast it easily until you get it dialed in, like any 2 stroke you pipe and carb. Me, I'd be slipping a twin in there and figuring out how to do the ignition on that, but up to you. Whatever you do fitting the pipe in there is what will be key.

I had some I hand ported (just cleaned up really), cut the head, worked the clutch, advanced the timing, I forget what else but they were impressive compared to stock. The only problem with a pipe is they like to work at X rpm. I always wanted to mod a stock pipe but never got my hands on and time for more fun with G1s. That could be a good compromise. It actually is based on a 70s sled motor btw.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
tjc02002
Not Yet Wild

what about just shaving the head down and using premium fuel. is this a good idea? how much can we shave the head? maybe I can weld the chamber in the head to raise the compression.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

IIRC I did mine 30 over, you can shave it until you near lose the squish band. They are 6:1 compression so cut head and you still use cheapest gas you can find even with advanced timing. IIRC the piston does not come to the top of the cylinder? IIRC as its been some time, I think you have to raise the cylinder and that raises the porting, then you cut the top of the cylinder off...is the right way to do it so you don't screw up the chamber in the head. I didn't do that just sanded the top of the exhaust port some. I liked the good bottom end it spun the tires better, otherwise I would have to do a lot of clutching and those carts were still used on a golfcourse though not for customers. I'm positive I ran over 30mph with stock 18 cart tires, a guy told me 41 but could have been wrong he was on a motorcycle. It was very twitchy on the road at max speed even after playing with the toe in. Motor was really screaming, I'd hold it wot for a mile at a time lol.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

how bout a vid, sounds awsome!
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
tjc02002
Not Yet Wild

how do you advance the timing. also, why do you raise the ports?
Old 12-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
tikicart
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I have .030 off my head, opened the exhaust port up 1mm widened it 2mm per side; on the intake I rounded the corners by approx 2mm, a 28mm slide carb, blaster reeds with the stops cut off, Banshee pipe, and am running 130 grams of weight in my Comet 94c clutch. I topped out at 37.6 mph and at that speed it sounded like the engine was going to explode. I run a solid 33 mph without over revving the motor.

Its a lot of work but I can't get in the water this time of year so I have to do something else. At 37 mph its really squirrely and I wouldn't recommend it. If you have a stock clutch you will not be able to take advantage of the pipe unless you know about tuning primary clutches. I don't think you can get different weights for a factory clutch and soon you won't be able to find them for the Comet since they went out of business. I posted pics of the Banshee exhaust here
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...sugestion.html
tikicart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Raise the ports for more rpm, and/or more power at higher rpm. I modded the plate on the pickup, or you can put an offset flywheel key in. I didn't move mine that much, it makes it go slower in reverse so not sure what a key would do.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
thatoneguy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Do u have any pics of ur port job wanting to do same thing to mine not sure how
thatoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
thatoneguy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

What jets I should I start with trying to tune my golf cart at
thatoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha