lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2018, 11:04 AM   #1
nebraskawoodman
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Relay Replace

My elect cart (Harley-Columbia) has (had) intermittent problem where I would loose forward but reverse would still work. First few times this happened it would fix itself after cool down time but this last time it failed hard (glad-easier to troubleshoot).

While testing the relays found that the forward relay (6-pole) would energize and have forward work with a slight tap.

I measure voltage at coil to be around 8v yet coil being used is a 12v so thinking someone replaced orig 6v coil with a 12v coil. Thinking a 12v coil at 8v doesn't pull contacts as tight as a 6v would so at larger current draws causes problem....

Anyone agree?

(I have no SN anywhere on cart so never been quite sure which model HD-Columbia I have so never sure what orig relays were supposed to be).
nebraskawoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2018, 10:28 PM   #2
nebraskawoodman
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: Relay Replace

Waiting on new part so took this failing solenoid apart. Did some searching but didn't find much re taking these things apart but did find one site that showed basic operation and how it pits the contact surfaces just as this one shows.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:04 AM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I wish I knew more about these to help you better.

Do you have a photo of these coils you are talking about?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:13 PM   #4
nebraskawoodman
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Sorry to confuse it was my mistake- I wrote "relay" when I meant a "solenoid" . The coil referred to is just the coil inside the solenoid that moves it's contact.

Cleaned the contact surfaces and re-assembled and bench tested good so glad to know some of these are repairable.

I'm replacing this but if it were the much more expensive 6v 6 pole type a repair attempt would def make sense...
Old 12-04-2018, 08:05 PM   #5
nebraskawoodman
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: Solenoid Replace

Guessing it might not be all that uncommon that many older carts that use 6volt 6 terminal solenoids opt to replace them with 12v instead of the orig 6v after seeing the price difference (almost 10x more expensive).

After sticking my replacement 12v in if I have any issues I plan to use a very small 6v spst relay or solenoid with a separate little sealed lead acid battery to drive this 6 pole 12v forward solenoid. Having the extra 12v battery would also run my led lights instead of getting it from my cart batteries as I am now...

Doing some testing found this 12v solenoid trigger coil measures about 12.3 ohm and draws about 900ma so not huge battery drainer.

Curious if these things can be totally dissected (removing 2-coil screws to pull out whole coil) exposing wires to change it's resistance to 6 ohm for 6v?... may do some experimenting.

Last edited by nebraskawoodman; 12-04-2018 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: forgot some info
Old 12-05-2018, 03:57 PM   #6
nebraskawoodman
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Another option to use a 12v solenoid in place of a (overpriced) 6v I'm testing is using a dc to dc mini converter found online for dollar or two. The 6-8v input is simply run thru converter to supply the 12v needed for proper solenoid pound per sq inch closure.

example:
"DC-DC Boost Converter 3.3v 5v 9v 12v 2A Adjustable Step Up Power Supply Module"
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson