lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-14-2020, 04:09 PM   #1
babyblue
Not Yet Wild

Default Steering on club car ds

Ok I have had steering box replaced, new tie rod ends, new jakes 4inch a-arm lift, new steering knuckle and still when turning steering wheel it binds. Yes I checked to make sure the knuckle was lined up with cutouts in steering shaft and steering box.when had knuckle removed spun steering wheel to check trunest of shaft. No wabble or play in either end and also spins very freely and smooth. Hook everything back up and binding returns on the ground or jacked up HELLLLP.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-14-2020, 07:02 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Steering on club car ds

It would probably help to have a close up photo of exactly where it is binding.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:34 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue View Post
Ok I have had steering box replaced, new tie rod ends, new jakes 4inch a-arm lift, new steering knuckle and still when turning steering wheel it binds. Yes I checked to make sure the knuckle was lined up with cutouts in steering shaft and steering box.when had knuckle removed spun steering wheel to check trunest of shaft. No wabble or play in either end and also spins very freely and smooth. Hook everything back up and binding returns on the ground or jacked up HELLLLP.

Unhook one tie rod and check. If that does not find it , hook that one back up and unhook something else until you find the bind.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:02 PM   #4
babyblue
Not Yet Wild

The binding is like numbers on a clock at 1-2-3-4-5- - - - its actually worst with new knuckle ? Only difference in old and new knuckle is new one has longer slip joint old one is short. Guess next to do is a steering column rebuild kit [emoji20]

babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:42 AM   #5
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

I had the exact same issue with 02 DS. I replaced the same components and ended up re-using the old steering knuckle as is was not completely worn out and the binding went away. I noticed that the aftermarket steering knuckle was not exactly the same geometry as the original. The yolks were a little larger. Is your new steering knuckle aftermarket or OEM?
Allmanac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:48 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

A binding or notchy sensation caused by the u-joint coupler shaft would exhibit at 3 and 9, or 12 and 6, or some variation at 90 to 180° intervals of rotation.

A notchy feeling at every 20-30° of rotation is usually due to wear, damage, or maladjustment of the steering rack itself as you are feeling the pinion gear on the end of the input shaft (inside the rack housing) binding with the teeth on the rack.
On an old/worn steering rack the most common cause for this is broken/split dust boots on the ends allowing dirt into the rack. Often it can be cleaned and re-greased and that problem will go away.

A brand new rack may be faulty from the factory if its an aftermarket (chinese) or it could just be something that needs a week or so of use in order to break in.

There is also the possibility that the lift kit or your tire combination is causing excess force on the rack when turning due to misalignment. Post some pictures of your setup if you can, and maybe we can spot something that may be wrong or incorrectly installed.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:11 PM   #7
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Did you remember to time the steering shaft U joints to each other? {Very important on a shafts that run on an sharp angle]
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:30 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

These only go together one way. The center section is keyed so the joints are offset about 20° if I remember right. You might be able to put it together one spline off, but that shouldn't be enough to make any difference in this application.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:20 PM   #9
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
These only go together one way. The center section is keyed so the joints are offset about 20° if I remember right. You might be able to put it together one spline off, but that shouldn't be enough to make any difference in this application.
OK. My intermediate shaft was/is straight splined. Think it was from a "90. That only leaves the rack itself binding like described. Is it a genuine CC or chicrap?
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:55 PM   #10
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I just remembered, when I first got my cart the stearing had tight spots in places. I just lubed it and kelp using it, next thing I know it was turning freely. I even looked into a new stearing rack. My cart had not been used or maintained very well.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car