lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2020, 09:57 PM   #1
bslu
Not Yet Wild

Default Disengage Parking brake

I just purchased a used 2015 Precedent and noticed I can only release the parking brake by tapping the brake pedal. Every golf cart I have drove in the past, you would release by pushing the gas pedal.
How would I go about fixing this? I have searched the forum and don’t see this issue in my searches.
This is my first cart, so I am reading as much as I can to learn about it.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2020, 06:45 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Disengage Parking brake

Does it not release at all by pushing the go pedal? It should release when pushing either one. If it doesn’t, the brake lock mechanism is jammed or someone has been in there monkeying around with stuff. The way the lock mechanism works it is attached to the go pedal and when you press the go pedal it rotates away from the brake lock cam to release it. It only takes minimal pedal movement to do that so it’s kinda hard to even think why it wouldn’t release unless someone has “modified” it.

The whole pedal box has to be removed to access everything. Takes about 20-30 minutes if you’ve never done it. Pull up the floor mat on the drivers side and then remove the access panel behind the pedals. Remove the bolts around the aluminum pedal box then lift it out, disconnect the brake cables and unplug the wires to the MCOR. Make sure to clean out any junk/dirt in the box. The go pedal pivots on the lock mechanism so make sure it can wiggle a little bit, but it should not feel overly loose or rotate separately of the go pedal.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:02 AM   #3
bslu
Not Yet Wild

No, it does not release at all when pressing go pedal.
I will remove the mat and look at it today.
Seems like an odd thing to “modify” by the previous owner....
Thanks for the info.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:27 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

It could just be seized, or some other way not working properly because of rust of dirt/debris stuck in it, but the lock mechanism on those does leave something to be desired when it comes to reliability. They wear out quickly.
I can see someone finding a way to "make it work" by rigging something up.

Another possibility is this is a much older cart and/or has a first gen pedal assembly installed which also had a problematic park brake mechanism, though it was a totally different design.

The first two pics in this link, which one matches your pedals? https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=97696
Old 07-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #5
bslu
Not Yet Wild

2nd pic. Generation 2

Old 07-27-2020, 11:44 AM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Then when you get the pedal box open you'll see a wheel with cam notches every few inch or so on the brake pedal mount, and should see this dohickie https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...recedent-gen-2 on the Go pedal pivot next to the brake wheel. The lock mechanism should rotate with the GO pedal as you press it. If it doesn't then it may need to be replaced, or there may be something broken in the pedal that makes the lock rotate.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:55 AM   #7
bslu
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
It could just be seized, or some other way not working properly because of rust of dirt/debris stuck in it, but the lock mechanism on those does leave something to be desired when it comes to reliability. They wear out quickly.
I can see someone finding a way to "make it work" by rigging something up.

Another possibility is this is a much older cart and/or has a first gen pedal assembly installed which also had a problematic park brake mechanism, though it was a totally different design.

The first two pics in this link, which one matches your pedals? https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=97696

Got it out. Very dirty and rusty. The parts appear to be all in tact but I am just not sure how it’s supposed to work...
I’m going to pressure wash the assembly and lube it up and see if I can get it to work. Adjustments.jpg
Attachment 1

Old 07-27-2020, 12:25 PM   #8
bslu
Not Yet Wild

Looks like the gear the parking brake hooks to is seized. I can spin it by tapping with hammer and screwdriver.
I’ll soak it and hope it comes back. Not spending that kind of money. Haha

Old 07-27-2020, 12:42 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Wow that is crazy rusty in there. Is that a beach cart? Northern Salty roads?

The wheel is supposed to spin. The arm with the teeth on it engages the center pinion and makes the outer cam teeth hook behind the lock pawl. Friction holds the arm engaged in the pinion gear. When you press the Go pedal the lock pawl rotates out and releases the wheel and then the arm releases.

Probably will need to replace the lock pawl, but You'll need to probably replace the screws that hold the throttle pedal box on. You'll have to heat the aluminum plate to break the rust bond to them to turn out I can almost guarantee that.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:28 PM   #10
bslu
Not Yet Wild

Default Disengage Parking brake

I have it spinning. I am going to reinstall.
It is in Louisiana, so no salty roads. May have flooded? Everything else is fine, that I know of.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car