lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
CodyPatt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 88 electric marathon rear diff fluid change

I've been searching thru old threads and am seeing many differences answers on what oil to use and what level to fill the rear with oil.

Mine has a bottom cover with no drain bolt, had to remove cover to drain. The fill plug is located near the vent tube ontop of the differential. Only a small amount drained out when I dropped the pan. I went ahead and filled up the diff with 10w30 oil an filled until it came out the plug ontop of the diff.

Maybe it's just me but the cart seems to not have as much top speed as it had before and I'm wondering if it's due to too much oil in the diff causing a drag on the cart.

What is the correct method for this 88 cart? I am the third owner so no telling if it had ever been done correctly in the past

Thanks in advance!
CodyPatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 electric marathon rear diff fluid change

none of our carts have a DRAIN plug. The amount of oil that goes in the differential per the manual, is 10 oz. the manual also shows the oil to be straight 30 wt motor oil. but a LOT, and I mean a LOT of us, use a heavier gear oil, such as 75 wt or 90 wt.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

According to this chart 30wt crankcase oil has about the same VISCOSITY as 80-85 wt gear oil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg viscosityChart.jpg (81.3 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

A 1988 EZGO is no really going to care that much what you use however to be strictly correct you should use a 75 - 90 weight gear oil. Confusion arises as the Society of Automotive Engineer (SAE) have two different standards for engine oil and gear oil. Straight 30 weight engine oil has the same viscosity as 80 weight gear oil. You might then ask why certain manufacturers recommend straight 30 weight engine oil in both the engine and the differential. This is an economy measure (read cheap here) as it simplifies their stock inventory. In addition, it isn't going to hurt your wallet to buy the best synthetic gearbox oil for your cart but it will affect the cart manufacturers bottom line if they use anything other than the most cost effective lubricant. It should be noted that engine oil and gearbox oil have different properties suited the the tasks they have to perform. Engine oil is loaded with cleaners and dispersants whilst gearbox oil is designed to have greater resistance to shear forces. As I said it really isn't going to make that much difference if you run your back axle on something else but if you are going to do the job right then...... well you get the idea. One final point. No one will recommend a 10w 30 oil, this is because the oil is designed to start at 10 weight when cold and then act as a 30 weight as the engine heat increase the molecular polymer length. Without the heat from the engine you will be running your back axle with a 10 weight lubricant. It really is not the end of the world but if you were to change the oil again a regular 75 weight gear oil would be best.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Learned something today. I went with 90 gear oil, and wondered about the debate between 30 and 90. Didn't even think about the oils being referred to were different kinds, I just assumed everyone used gear oil.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
CodyPatt
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info! Looks like I need to remove some of the oil since I added over a quart. Rather not have to drop the pan again but that's the only way to get it right and allow me to sleep
CodyPatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'm certainly no expert, but I'd simply remove the plug and if nothing comes out, sleep happy. Afterall, this isn't like engine oil with a positive displacement oil pump.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

FWIW, I used 75 wt gear oil in mine.......
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I'm certainly no expert, but I'd simply remove the plug and if nothing comes out, sleep happy. Afterall, this isn't like engine oil with a positive displacement oil pump.
Totally agree. Just remove the plug, let it drain (cart on level surface), replace the plug and it should be good-to-go. I use that plug as a combination drain/fill plug by sucking the old oil out and then add new oil using a turkey baster and vinyl hose. The big gear teeth "dip" into the pool of oil and oils the upper gears by tooth to tooth transfer. Also, gear oil for gears, engine oil for engines is what I follow. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:13 PM   #10
Jamesn71
Not Yet Wild

Dumb question here. I took all the bolts out beat the hell out of it with rubber mallet and still wouldn't come off. Next step is to take a drywall knife and tap/hammer it under the lip? Is there a gasket for it or do you just make your own with sealer?
Jamesn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO