lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
toge89
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Cart not even trying to start

TLDR; After a lot of tinkering with my cart it isn't even trying to turnover, despite not directly messing with anything that would directly affect it starting.

Long Version (apologizing in advance for the length here, but I'm at a loss here so including everything in case it is something I just missed):

About 2 months ago decided I was gonna pretty up my cart, by stripping it completely down, Rhino Linering the whole thing, adding a dash kit, and adding a new dash. Up to this point it was running very reliably although not super smooth... basically when it is warm it is a champ, but can take some talking into to get it moving (playing with the gas pedal) always hit idle though.

First step was taking of everything not part of the main body (all bumpers, front body piece, seats, seat backs [haven't had a roof on it for a while], lights and the floor mat) We also changed the oil at this point.

Next I took out the original dash, which means I unplugged the oil light, cut the wiring to the fuel gauge (bought a new one and it was corroded beyond me wanting to undo it gently). The key ignition was unscrewed from the dash, but none of the wiring was touched.

Next was painting a lot of stuff, but only aesthetics .

Next was the steering wheel removal which resulted in having to remove the steering column and because of that improper removal of steering column, also had to rebuild it. My friends are idiots and I don't wish this on anyone.

The fun stuff started then, adding the new dash and steering wheel and once done it was about time to get it off the ghetto lift setup I had so went to turn it on and heard a click and nothing else. Tried my lights and they were dead to so assumed it was my battery

Took it to Batteries Plus, and they said it was nearly perfect, so went home and as I'm putting it back in, notice there is a fuse for the lights (My friends might not be the only idiots). Tested it and it was bad, replaced, and the lights worked. Yay, but still not turning over.

Next I use the google machine and find the fuse (and whole electrical box that I didn't know existed). Fuse is good, but replace anyway, still not turning over.

Next thought is i messed up the ignition some how, so I wire up the new fuel gauge to confirm it actually working and giving power aka when I turn the key the fuel gauge arm actually moves (and it moves to full even though it isn't full but that is a separate issue I believe)so there is power coming from the ignition.

Then i turned to the solenoid and best I could tell from my "volt meter" (a light bulb with two wires coming from it) there was power up to solenoid from the ignition, power to it from the battery, and power to it from the thing that clicks when you press down the gas pedal. There didn't seem to be any power coming from the solenoid to the starter though.

I've replaced the Solenoid and tried it both ways (the new one is labeled with an S and an I on the two small inputs but the old one is not). And think I'm going to replace the key ignition switch, but I REALLY want to avoid replacing the starter, both from a time and money perspective. I've also bought a proper volt meter to do some testing but haven't got to that yet.

Any ideas short of me calling out an expert? Or does anyone know an expert in the Dallas area to call?

Thanks and sorry for the behemoth post.
toge89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2014, 07:54 AM   #2
TJL
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Cart not even trying to start

You need a continuity meter or ohm meter. On some of the generic replacement starter solenoids the 2 front posts aren't what makes it fire. On some the coil is ran from 1 of 2 front posts and then grounded via the mounting bracket. Test it with a real meter and see where you have continuity, I regularly see them wired between the left front post and the mounting bracket.

Edit: that is assuming you aren't hearing your solenoid hit.
TJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
bennyt
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Cart not even trying to start

I had the same problem on my 02 ds after rebuilding engine. I finally discovered a bad ground from starter to frame.
bennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car