lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Intermittent Spark 89 Marathon

Need some ideas on an intermittent spark problem. The spark will come and go. Never when the engine is running....once it starts it stays running. It only does the come n go spark thing when you are trying to start it. I am thinking of possiblities.......ignitor? Voltage regulator? coil? Any thoughts or a place to start?

Thanks
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2008, 06:56 AM   #2
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Intermittent Spark 89 Marathon

I guess the problem I am having is more complex than anyone can figure out.
Or I am the only one that can see this post. hmmmmmm.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:50 AM   #3
ruredy
Born Wild

I can see your post. I don't know or I would have said something, maybe a bad connection, ground, or something like that. Igniters tend to work or not work, coils tend to mess up after heating up, not before. But none of that means it can't happen.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Thanks Jon......I am pretty much sure it is electrical and if you know of anyone who may have the parts of the tech manual that deals with trouble shooting of those parts I mentioned, it may help me to narrow it down. The VR is not that expensive but the ignitor is, so is the coil. Does anyone know if I can retro-fit another coil to this cart. There do not seem to be many places that stock this particular coil. I also still have the jpg of the hei ignition retro that I may be able to use in place of the stock coil. I am trying to avoid getting into the flywheel side to get at the pulsar so if there is a way to test it with a meter or something, that would be helpful as well. Any thoughts?
Old 12-16-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The problem I have in assisting you is that you are working on a cart that I haven't seen for a number of years! 2 stroke engine carts are a rare in the Dallas area. Nothing negative, just don't see too many of them still living now a days...

Have you checked your pedal micro switch? Not sure where it is, but there could be a bad switch or connection to it. Also check micro's on your F/R...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
ruredy
Born Wild

I believe your suppose to be able to ohm test the pulsar coil, never done it though. readings should be in the 70s from what i've heard. I know people have used car coils on the 2 strokes, again, haven't done it. I don't think it would be the v/r if it's charging 14v give or take a little. You could always try the hei thing and change back if it doesn't make any difference, I don't think it'll fry anything. sorry i'm not any help here. The last 2 stroke cart I had I sold about 17 years ago, don't plan on getting another and if I did it would be cause someone gave it to me.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Mike, the pedal switch is inside a little metal box on the firewall. It consistently triggers the starter, so I am guessing that it is working properly. I called the folks at golfcartcatalog.com whom have been helpful in the past and the tech said I should lean toward the ignitor. Do either of you know how to check the ignitor? I have no reservations about the HEI conversion and have found the post for it on BU forums, but I would like to be reasonably sure that the ignitor is the culprit before throwing $$ at the cart. I am also thinking about going ahead and replacing the coil with a basic duraspark can style or something similar once I isolate if the ignitor is the problem.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:00 PM   #8
CaptEd
Not Yet Wild

I just got my new 89 manual in the mail today. Looked up your problem in troubleshooting, Pulsar coil should be 75 ohms. The only test for the ignitor they give is replace it with a known good one. Just in case you need the resistance of the coil, it shoud be 2.88 to 4.32 ohms between the orange and green wires. between the orange and plug wire it should be 9.36 to 14.04 K ohms. Of course, they say to make sure you have a good sparkplug, with the gap set at .028 to .030 and they say use a NGK BP5HS or a Champion L92-YC.
Hope this helps.
Capt. Ed
CaptEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:13 AM   #9
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Capt.....You are the man!!! Thanks..
Old 12-20-2008, 05:56 PM   #10
david411
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

sounds like u r having as much fun as me lol,sounds like CAPT ED cant be very usful with that manual
david411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO