lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #11
Dale-D
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Question about upgrading to 2 gauge wires

I made my own set of 2 gauge wires and solder ternimals from my local hardware store

Total price was under $20

I had the flux and solder already from when I built my house. It was left over from the copper piping I used, and I got a Brass Bolt and cut it for the feed thru connector.....
Dale-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #12
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Dale-D, I think you are going to be disappointed. Plumbing solder and electrical solder are different. Acid core vs. rosin core.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #13
cartattach
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale-D View Post
I made my own set of 2 gauge wires and solder ternimals from my local hardware store

Total price was under $20

I had the flux and solder already from when I built my house. It was left over from the copper piping I used, and I got a Brass Bolt and cut it for the feed thru connector.....
Plumbing solder is leaded. Most of it will say specifically not for electrical connections. The connections will lead you down the road of failure. Benzomatic sells electrical solder at lowes if you insist on doing it yourself, invest in some and replace your terminals.
cartattach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #14
bsikes09
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Plumbing solder is definitely NOT leaded.....hence lead poisoning. Lead solder was replaced with silver solder in the '80s at least in the application of plumbing.
bsikes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:26 AM   #15
Dale-D
Gone Wild

Club Car

hmmmmmmmm, it has been 2 years since I made up these cables, and YES, with the solder paste from PLUMBERS SOLDER PASTE, and I haven't had 1 single problem yet....PERIOD !
That sounds like a crock of BS...........I am an Electronics Engineer, and I never ever heard of that causing trouble............I've been doing this for years now, without ever having 1 hint of trouble...........Acid core or Rosin core solder doesn't seem to make any difference either.............Maybe that is why they charge $200 per set of cables
Old 10-10-2015, 06:33 AM   #16
Dale-D
Gone Wild

Club Car

and for the record, the FLUX is used as a BONDING AGENT between the SOLDER and the COPPER WIRES, nothing more.................The PLUMBERS PASTE is used on the plumbing pipes because it is SAFE for use in plumbing in the home, where as ACID FLUX has a tendency to cause problems with eating thru the copper pipes if it isn't cleaned off right away, plus it is TOXIC if ingested, that is why they use the Rosen Core Flux with Plumbing fixtures, it is an All Natural product
Old 10-10-2015, 06:40 AM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Dale you are right. Safe drinking water act of 1970s started removing lead from household water pipes and today's plumber's solder is 100% lead free.
Aside from that, what are we supposed to do about our lead battery posts !?

Something that is not talked about much with the DIYers is acid flux neutralization after the joint is made. Left active flux & rosin continues to etch and promotes corrosion.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:41 AM   #18
Dale-D
Gone Wild

Club Car

Scottyb, You KNOW, no one ever CLEANS the leftover Acid Core Solder Flux when they make their own cables, they simply COVER OVER the problems with ' Heat Shrink Tubing "

Hahahahaha, I saw several sets sold to friends, and WHEN THEY FAILED, I cut the shrink tube off and behold, Acid Core solder not cleaned ate thru the Hi Dollar Joint

I say Hahahaha, but, if the person making up the cables is careful to clean off all of the solder flux, then it doesn't matter which one they use............I use Rosen core since once finished and nit cleaned COMPLETELY, it caused no further joint damage.........It may trap dust, but, that should not harm the cable joint in any way.............Thanks.......Dale
Old 10-10-2015, 08:05 AM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Just another pitfall for the DIYers and some ebay venders
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:39 AM   #20
Dale-D
Gone Wild

Club Car

I KNOW the cables that YOU sell are 100% Top Quality, and the Bolt thru system you sell for them is the best way to go for the average guy doing it themselves

IF, they are SKILLED enough, then they can make the set cheaper, but, probably not as good as you sell, and Your sets are reasonably priced

Dale
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car