lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2016, 07:02 PM   #11
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Experience adding secondary battery to Gas Cart for electronics?

Optimas are junk been there done that. Odyssey is where its at now.
panteramatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2016, 09:32 PM   #12
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank View Post
so if I went with a rechargeable deep cycle....how many amp hours should I be looking at?cca's?

theres 50,000 of these things and no clue what I am looking at.
As per usual, the biggest deep cycle compatible battery you can afford & fit will have the longest runtime & lifespan. I thought Gboost offered a High-output S/G, but i no find him on the website. Might call Glenn & ask.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:47 AM   #13
frankthetank
Gone Wild

Ok, so if I went with a "standalone" odyssey that I would not hook in parallel, that I would run the stereo and extras to. What would be the best rechargeable?

Ballpark on the runtime before having to recharge it?

We generally cruise on the cart for a couple hours a night with stereo on moderately.
frankthetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:08 PM   #14
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Couple hours would be no big deal unless you are running big amps and cranking on it. I run my car in the yard for 4 hours on its tiny battery at half volume. But remember power is used on a curve, the last 20% on the volume will take much more power. I'm running 1Kw with 2 class D amps (1x500rms, 4x125rms). And my car battery sucks, its one of those reduced height things and not that big just twice the cost for nothing. 2 hours I'd get a large 12v RV battery and call it good if you are not running big amps. Deep cycle can also take longer to charge, though its better to charge at a lower rate for any liquid/lead battery. Though a different type of battery may be lighter, the 6v and RV types are hefty things!

You might mount up an alternator with the gen, the alts lot of people are using are that little tiny one. If the belt slips you may need to fit an idler too, but all you need is a longer belt and make a mount.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:18 PM   #15
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

i have a side by side that we have a 1000 watt amp on and 4 wake boarding speakers we used two 850 cca battery that we could switch to run off of one or both we used just one 2 days straight about 6 hours each day and finally ran the one dead at the end of the second day
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:38 AM   #16
frankthetank
Gone Wild

Maybe I could use something like this for a quick connect to charge it at the dash:
Amazon.com: NOCO Genius GC016 12V Dashmount Battery Indicator: Automotive Amazon.com: NOCO Genius GC016 12V Dashmount Battery Indicator: Automotive

along with something this:
Amazon.com: NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V 3.5A UltraSafe Smart Battery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V 3.5A UltraSafe Smart Battery Charger: Automotive

and maybe a marine or rv battery....I don't realy wanna spend more than $100/$150 so I am not sure.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:08 PM   #17
frankthetank
Gone Wild

or a supplemental like this?

Amazon.com: XS Power XP3000 XP Series 12V 3,000 Amp AGM Supplemental Battery with M6 Terminal Bolt: Car Electronics Amazon.com: XS Power XP3000 XP Series 12V 3,000 Amp AGM Supplemental Battery with M6 Terminal Bolt: Car Electronics
Old 02-28-2016, 10:03 PM   #18
allergic2sailboats
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Optima, sheet..... Odyssey will eat 2 optimas for snacks. Made from virgin lead, specs are crazy compared to all the rest.
Odysseys don't like to be hooked up to trickle chargers I have seen them fail time and time again. Odyssey also makes hawker another reason I am not impressed. Optimas are awesome with the appropriate charger. I guess odysseys are probably the same way. All chargers need to be smart chargers these days
allergic2sailboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:21 PM   #19
LVCJ
going,.. going,.. gone!

E-Z-GO

Never had any issues with my Optimas. I run a yellow top in my cart, 3+years old, likes my trickle charger, no issues. Ran them in my RV, 5th wheeler. My brother runs them in his desert race buggies.
LVCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #20
frankthetank
Gone Wild

So I ended up going with the XS Power XP2500.

Since I am installing separate switches for the lights, radio, and other toys.....should I even bother with a main/kill switch for the secondary battery? Any cool looking kill switches out there?

I also bought a charger that I can leave the leads bolted to the battery and comes out to a mounted switch....so I can just plug it up like it was an electric cart.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha