lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2016, 10:26 AM   #1
sr71
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Lift Kit design

I know I am over thinking this but here goes:

I’m pondering front suspensions.

My stock 2012.5 G29 uses a coilover shock attached to a single A-Arm (on each side). The competition uses a transverse leaf spring. My assumption is that the G29 design should handle bumps better. Can someone who has driven or owned both comment which rides better?

When I look at lift kits there are 3 basic categories: 1. Spindle lift ; 2. Double A-Arm with transverse leaf spring; 3. Long travel double A-arm with coil over shocks

Why do companies offer a wonderful double A-Arm design (with caster / camber adjustment but limit the movement by tying each side together with a transverse spring? Are they simply trying to keep the cost down?

Now back to my G29. Here’s how I see the +/-‘s of the lift options:

1. Spindle Lift:
+’s: lowest price; better ride than transverse leaf design
-‘s: no caster or camber adjustment, kit uses old shocks

2. Double A-Arm with transverse leaf spring:
+’s: new shocks & transverse leaf spring; caster & camber adjustment
-‘s: rougher ride & $100 more than spindle lift

3. Long Travel Double A-Arm with Coilovers :
+’s: proper design for all terrains; new shocks/coilovers; caster & camber adjustment
-‘s: almost double the price;

Since another part of my plan is a full on Plowman’s kit, the ability to keep her stable on the straights makes me lean towards a lower lift - specifically a 4” double A-Arm from MadJax which gives me caster and camber adjustment. However…. I am really curious how much harsher (if at all) the ride will be compared to the coilovers?
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #2
raceinsnow
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Lift Kit design

Ok this is just my opinion, its a golf cart not a side by side razor. I had a G9 with a jakes spindle lift and what I have now is a 2011 G29 with a jakes spindle lift. I like the jakes spindle lifts because they allow more ground clearance in the front and its still an a-arm front suspension. The rear lifts are the same. I like the ride with the spindle lifts but I am told that the double a-arm lifts have a little better ride. For me I wanted ground clearance and for the extra money I saved I bought other things for my cart that helped with performance. The engineering with the jakes kits are great and I don't see any need to change caster or camber. Everybody has there own style and agenda when they set there carts up this is just my opinion.
raceinsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:01 PM   #3
sr71
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Tx for the comments Racin. Good point on the clearance for the spindle lift. I'm going that route. Now I have some extra cash for a Plowman's cam to go with his clutch/jet kit.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Hey Kevin,
I'm a Club Car owner, so I have limited knowledge with Yami's!
BUT... I've had both spindle lifts, and A-arm lifts on my cart,
and depending on how you use your cart (street, or rolling over logs) you'll have to remember that the rear end will still limit your clearance!

just a .02
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:45 PM   #5
sr71
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

thanks Lockman!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha