lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2016, 04:16 PM   #1
AussieInSeattle
Getting Wild

Default "New" Batteries with an old date sticker

I read a lot of the threads about the different battery options (6x8v) and decided to try out the Sams Club Duracells @ ~$100 a piece.

I bought a cart from CraigsList and the batteries show a voltage of 49.8V after a full charge (+12 hours) so I figure the old ones are done or near to being done from what I've read?

Anyway, I just picked up the Duracells from Sams Club and the date sticker on them is 6/15, so almost a year old. Do "New" Golf cart batteries have a shelf life at all? I know regular AA/AAA/etc have a used by date of sorts on them, just wondering if it is the same for Golf Cart Batteries.

I plan on using the battery break-in procedures from here:
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-break-in-.html

Thanks,
Matt
AussieInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2016, 04:25 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: "New" Batteries with an old date sticker

i have seen somewhere that the sticker ts the made date not the fill/charge date
but ether way save receipt as almost all have 12 month warranty
Old 03-31-2016, 04:26 PM   #3
Doc
Gone Wild

Well, just remember, the date on them is the date that they'll use if you make a warranty claim. So I'd make sure that someone from the store notes that they were bought on the actual date you buy them or else the warranty is worthless.All the same, I'd try to get the newest one on the rack as a battery sitting around for the better part of a year cannot be a good thing.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:48 PM   #4
passthru
Gone Wild

Club Car

This is always something I check when purchasing any battery.
passthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:43 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

FLA batteries start to age as soon as they have acid in them. Most auto stores used to add the acid when you bought the battery before they went to mostly maintenance free (not maintainable) batteries. So it depends how long they have sat on the shelf if they came with acid installed.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:11 PM   #6
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Along with getting the newest possible,I make sure they all have the same date code. I had a battery dealer try to sell me 3-6 month old, 4-4month old an 2-1 month old eight volts for a 72volt pack.

I explained I wanted them all the same date code and I didn't want six month old batteries, I ended up with a whole set of 4 month old batteries.

I just worry that the batteries won't be well matched from the start if they weren't even made in the same month. I figure the more time difference means a different batch of lead alloy for the plates or a new shipment of acid. Or just a new employee on the press that forms the plates screws up a whole batch. More time to me means more chance for error.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:00 AM   #7
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have bought batteries from Sams for my 03 DS twice, and yes I have had batteries that didn't last a year. However I did keep my receipt and Sams has always honored the 1 year warranty from the date of purchase, not the date on the battery. On a good note I have the Duracells now and have had no issues with them. I was the energizers they used to sell that were junk.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car