lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #1
csport
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default has anyone ever drppped or removed the front axle on a 4 wheel drive cart?

Nicer weather is here and a friend has volunteered, to help me check out the front end- on a 2009 bad boy/ezgo cart 48 volt 4 wheel drive
( I have both rotator cuffs are completely torn, but I am getting ankle, then knees and then hip fixed first)

It looks, somewhat uncomplicated- I just wanted to know are there any super secret things I need to be aware of, before I loosen that bolt and loose those fingers-

I know to first disconnect the power from batteries- I don't need to weld any cables

Thanks in advance- I am hoping it is a passengers side CV joint, but I am not betting

any other hints would be appreciated
csport is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
Helirich
Gone Wild

Default Re: has anyone ever drppped or removed the front axle on a 4 wheel drive cart?

I cant help you, but would you please take lots of pics. I am very courious about this axles.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:58 PM   #3
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: has anyone ever drppped or removed the front axle on a 4 wheel drive cart?

Nothing to it. Jack it up, disconnect it and drop it out. If all you need to do is change the CV, you don't even need to drop the axle. You will find however that replacement parts are not easy to come by. BBB keeps a tight rein on their service information and parts supply.

Helirich- what do you want to know?
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:09 PM   #4
csport
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I will take pictures

I am wondering who else uses the same parts?

here is the fun part of the game

thanks Folks
Old 05-18-2016, 07:50 AM   #5
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab69440 View Post
Nothing to it. Jack it up, disconnect it and drop it out. If all you need to do is change the CV, you don't even need to drop the axle. You will find however that replacement parts are not easy to come by. BBB keeps a tight rein on their service information and parts supply.

Helirich- what do you want to know?
I'm a four wheeler from way back. I just always liked all the tires pulling. I guess I should have bought a BB, ha-ha. I may keep my eye out for a front axle. Like to know if they are well designed and simple replacement. Hard to steer? Is BB the actual manufactor? Do they have limited slip for it? My cart is modified from a wrecked "Beast" cart. That company is a competitor to BB. They have duel wheel motors available for 4x4. (I don't have them) Not sure if I like that design.

It's not like I need another project. My amphibious project I've been building for five years. (4x4)

Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:08 PM   #6
csport
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Talking Re: has anyone ever drppped or removed the front axle on a 4 wheel drive cart?

You can laugh, but my cataract surgery sure has helped my vision!, I took the tarp off the cart today- just to get a feel for the project and I noticed this- I wonder what, my buddy hit with this? the shock is gone from the passengers side also-

something tells me the passengers cv joint is where I am starting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bad boyfront.jpg (506.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-18-2016, 07:17 PM   #7
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The early BBB front axles are modified EZ-GO rear ends. They are fairly stout, but not bullet-proof. There is an increased measure of steering effort, but a single finger can still manipulate the wheel. There is also a noticeable increase in turning radius. I would guess the modifications are (were?) done in house at BBB. Since a LS is available for the EZ-GO rear, I don't see why it wouldn't work in the BBB front axle.

If you plan on buying one to install in a cart, make sure you buy a pre-2001 EZ-GO. The later carts had a steering rack mounted on the front weldment. You need a cart with the steering box mounted to the chassis. You can take look at my build thread and see a pic of the steering and it should be immediately obvious why you need the earlier model cart. I'm pretty happy with the swap except for it being too tall. If I use larger tires to fill up all that empty space, it won't come out of the garage anymore.

It's great to see the look on people's faces when I hook on to Dad's 25' toy hauler and park it into a space too short for his truck to maneuver in and out of.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:16 PM   #8
csport
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

HELIRICH- that cart is outrageous- what engine, what mods
Old 05-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #9
csport
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok I pulled the passenger's side front wheel, the cv joint was full of grease and felt smooth.

Right after I checked the cv joint, my good guy old gear head said the joint felt smooth.

I spun the driver's side and clunk again.

good guy asked me for a super long screw driver or a broom handle. He put it to his ear and and I spun and it clunked he listened to different spots on the axle- and then I listened and it sounds like the noise is coming from the passenger's side of the pumpkin.

If it does not rain, I will open it up friday

thanks
Chris
Old 05-19-2016, 05:02 PM   #10
csport
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

do I have to remove glove compartment to get to the top bolt on the front passengers side shock? I suspect same thing for drivers side?
the manual is not very clear
well its not clear to me-LOL
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO