lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
DavidinFL
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 - Troubleshooting lack of fuel to carb

Cart had been stored for 2 years, I installed a new carb, plug and gas filter. After a few trips around the block, the cart sounded like it was running out of gas or had water in the lines. The clear gas lines at the carb, showed fuel wasn't getting to the carb. So I drained the fuel and used compressed air to clear the lines, then reattached the fuel hoses. After cranking it for some time and even trying a squirt of starting fluid, there is still no fuel to the carb.

Q1: I saw the sticky on the cleaning the fuel pump, I disassembled the pump, but it looked clean as a whistle.

Q2: Another video discussed priming the fuel pump. Do I need to do that? If so, what is the proper way to do so?

Best Regards,

-David
DavidinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #2
DavidinFL
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G1 - Troubleshooting lack of fuel to carb

I poured gas in the carb and the engine ran until it used up the fuel. I installed new clamps on the all the hoses from the tank to the lines, to the pump, out of the pump and to the carb. I can see fuel from the tank to the hard lines, but fuel is not making it into the carb.

Argh.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Did you check the pulse hose from the crank case to the rear of the pump for cracks/pinholes from dry rotting? Look for oil around the crank seals? Bad seals will keep the pump from working properly. Start by taking the fuel inlet line off of the carb. Jack the rear tires up off the ground and press the gas pedal. When it's cranking over look to see if you're pumping fuel. If fuel is pulsing out then it would seem to be a carb problem. Did you buy a OEM carb or a Chinese flea Bay carb? Q1)mine was clean as a whistle too. I checked the diaphragm for pinholes and then reassembled the pump. Checked the pump by blowing lightly into the pulse input and listened for the pump to click as I blew in and out. Q2)to prime the fuel lines/pump take the vent valve out of the tank and LIGHTLY blow compressed air in the tank until fuel reaches the carb. Still messing with mine so I hope you figure yours out.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:06 AM   #4
DavidinFL
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
Did you check the pulse hose from the crank case to the rear of the pump for cracks/pinholes from dry rotting? Look for oil around the crank seals? Bad seals will keep the pump from working properly. Start by taking the fuel inlet line off of the carb. Jack the rear tires up off the ground and press the gas pedal. When it's cranking over look to see if you're pumping fuel. If fuel is pulsing out then it would seem to be a carb problem. Did you buy a OEM carb or a Chinese flea Bay carb? Q1)mine was clean as a whistle too. I checked the diaphragm for pinholes and then reassembled the pump. Checked the pump by blowing lightly into the pulse input and listened for the pump to click as I blew in and out. Q2)to prime the fuel lines/pump take the vent valve out of the tank and LIGHTLY blow compressed air in the tank until fuel reaches the carb. Still messing with mine so I hope you figure yours out.
Thanks! The fuel isn't pulsing so I'll look at the crank seals, then triple check the lines and crank seals.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:33 AM   #5
DavidinFL
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Need some more tips!!

There are NO oil leaks.

I found a fuel line with a pin hole and a loose connector. I finished replacing ALL the fuel lines (except metal) and the vac line from the engine to the pump. All lines are secured at each end with screw-type fasteners.

I tore down the fuel pump, cleaned it, looked for pin holes and when blowing/sucking could hear it pop.

I installed the pump and then disconnected the fuel line between the pump and carb. When I attempted to start the engine, the pump worked great, spilling fuel everywhere, lol .

I have (2) new plugs (Autolite and NGK) and coil wire. I tried both, verified the gap and checked the spark....both work and are bright as ever.

I primed the system, tried starting fluid, tried air filter/no air filter, choke/no choke. I might get the engine to run for up to 10 seconds, but then it sputters out and won't restart. Battery is new and on battery tender (fully charged) when I'm not tinkering.

What else should I try?
Old 08-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #6
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Was the new carb you bought an OEM or a Chinese knock off?
Old 08-25-2016, 11:32 AM   #7
DavidinFL
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Was the new carb you bought an OEM or a Chinese knock off?
Knock off.... but if you read wayyyyyyy back in my first post, the cart ran smooth as butter for several blocks. Then it started acting up, like it got gunked up or there was water in the gas, etc... so that is when I started this whole process.

I still have the original yamaha carb, but the needle/jets are mighty gunked up.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:27 PM   #8
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Hmmm. I'm wondering if it made it those few blocks by running on just the fuel in the bowl until it emptied. You said in your earlier post about putting gas in the bowl and would run until the bowl was empty. Did it run ok before the carb change? The reason I'm asking is because if you have air, spark, and the fuel is flowing through the pump to the carb, then it would look like an issue somewhere with the carb. You may want to try and find which components in the original carb are bad and replace them with the components of the new carb. Or better yet buy a carb rebuild kit from a site sponsor. I've heard from numerous members here those knock off carbs are nothing but problems because they're not made as well as the OEM carbs.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:40 PM   #9
DavidinFL
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Hmmm. I'm wondering if it made it those few blocks by running on just the fuel in the bowl until it emptied. You said in your earlier post about putting gas in the bowl and would run until the bowl was empty. Did it run ok before the carb change? The reason I'm asking is because if you have air, spark, and the fuel is flowing through the pump to the carb, then it would look like an issue somewhere with the carb. You may want to try and find which components in the original carb are bad and replace them with the components of the new carb. Or better yet buy a carb rebuild kit from a site sponsor. I've heard from numerous members here those knock off carbs are nothing but problems because they're not made as well as the OEM carbs.

The gas in the bowl only lasts "maybe" up to 10 seconds. Initially I ran it for close to 10 minutes.

I'm stumped... tonight I'll run a compression check and see what that reveals.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:14 PM   #10
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Good call on compression I was going to suggest that I think factory spec was 120 but anything above 100 is good 90+ is runnable 80s and lower needs a rebuild
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha