lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
Pixleyd
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 Yamaha G16 gas cart overcharging!

Hello, this is my first cart. I searched the threads but couldn't get an exact answer. I recently tried to hook an inverter up to run Christmas lights. The lights ran great until the engine started then the inverter went into protect. I checked the voltage at the battery when the engine is running and it is 16.3-16.5. Obviously this is too much for certain accessories so I bought a new voltage regulator and it still does the same exact thing! Any advice thank you!
Pixleyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-14-2017, 10:42 PM   #2
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 2001 Yamaha G16 gas cart overcharging!

Golf carts are usually used for very short distance and require a lot of starts with no much running. Such a use must be very hard on the battery and I suppose to compensate, their regulator permits a higher voltage.

Having a totally different way of using my cart, when I had to change my voltage regulator, I decided not to order the electronic version but the old one (Hitachi for G1-G9) which can be adjusted by a screw inside. Protecting my accessories (radio, LED, lights, phone charger, etc...) was a must!

This being said, these regulators we see everywhere look like the Hitachi but ARE NOT ADJUSTABLE!. I contacted so much suppliers and only one had it (www.golfcartcare.com, not a supporter of the site but... it is information). For me it was really important to find it!

It is not really easy to adjust: with or without the cover, the voltage is different... so it requires several tries until all is nice. Actually I am in the 13.7/14.0V with very short moments at 14.5 which is very acceptable.

Funny enough, it is at this time I wanted to be able to monitor the voltage while "en route" and not only for seconds at home. A small project with an arduino nano, it finished with plenty other detectors added to the voltage such cylinder fin temperature, air shroud temperature, external temperature, RPM, etc... sent by Bluetooth to my phone. I made a dash application recording all data while on way.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2633hd.jpg (2.1 KB, 0 views)
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #3
Pixleyd
Not Yet Wild

Thank you very much for the information! Were you able to order straight off the site? I'm having trouble finding it.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:29 PM   #4
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixleyd View Post
Thank you very much for the information! Were you able to order straight off the site? I'm having trouble finding it.
Yes I was, it was in April 2016.

Apparently you are right, their web site looks to have a trouble. Perhaps you can give them a quick phone call, just to be sure they have it in inventory AND it is still the adjustable version.

Hope they still have it
Old 01-15-2017, 09:51 PM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

On a Yamaha that's how they charge there system, it will normally "dance" from 15+ to 16, just up and down.

If you drive down the road with headlights on you can see the headlights get brighter and dimmer as you drive.

Club car and Ezgo both charge there cars at a solid voltage
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #6
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
If you drive down the road with headlights on you can see the headlights get brighter and dimmer as you drive.
If I recently changed my headlights from bulbs to LEDS, I never noticed any luminosity change as you describe on both...

Anyway, I am really happy with the choice I did to install the old version! It works exactly as I wanted
Old 01-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I agree, the Yami charging system is all over the board, that's why with the Big Block conversions on Yamahas I have just gutted them and used EXGO starters, Regulators and Solenoids and rewired the whole system - it's a little more work but a lot more consistent
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #8
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

You can actually modify the Yamaha system and it will charge a steady 14.3 volts
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:31 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
You can actually modify the Yamaha system and it will charge a steady 14.3 volts
Agreed But it won't ever do that stock. No need for a different starter/generator.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:02 PM   #10
Pixleyd
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
How do I do that?

Tags
battery, gas, overcharging, yamaha g16
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha