lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2018, 03:21 PM   #1
RenoHuskerDu
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default CV boot clamp question, XRT 1550

Been working with David H on this for a while. Club Car in its infinite wisdom apparently upsized the boot clamps from 7mm (.28") to 8mm (.32") wide, sometime after they introduced the XRT 1550.

So if you buy a CV boot kit from Club Car, it only fits later carts. What does 'later' mean? Not sure. But our 2009 XRT 1550 has the thinner boot clamps on it.

The issue is that the 6mm (.245") groove cast into outside of the CV joint (see pic) bells won't let the 8mm wide boot clamps sink down in there. So the clamps won't fit, as if they were too short. The clamps are too soft to try to grind them down, they'd distort, and the sharp ground edges would cut the rubber boot. IF I could even manage to grind them down without destroying them.

David has been trying hard to find a solution. He thinks Club Car just buys the kits, and their vendor might be able to help. I spent an hour on the phone with Club Car mother ship and all I got was alternative part numbers - that fit the current 2018 model XRT. Not much use to me.

I know that there are only 3 of us XRT owners here, last time I looked. Just hoping that one of you knows something about this issue.

Any help or ideas welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GrooveInBell.jpg (447.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg CVbootClamp.jpg (382.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg NewCVclamp.jpg (569.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg OldCVclamp.jpg (515.9 KB, 0 views)
RenoHuskerDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: CV boot clamp question, XRT 1550

Try Napa auto parts. They sometimes carry cv boot clamps. Most auto parts stores at least have cv boot kits in stock and will have bands in the kits. I’ve never measured the width on them, but you’ll probably need to use the slide type bands rather than the crimp type.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:19 PM   #3
Jimmie
Gone Wild
Club Car

I don't know, just throwing this out there but would a zip tie work
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:46 PM   #4
RenoHuskerDu
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
I don't know, just throwing this out there but would a zip tie work
That's what we did to close it up, keep dust etc out of the fresh clean grease. But were we to actually run it that way, with the rough Texas brush etc, I'm reasonably certain that it would fail within weeks. We have those Prickly Pear cactus here with spikes 2" long. And baby Mesquite bushes with similar thorns, all hiding in the tall grass...
Old 12-20-2018, 07:48 PM   #5
RenoHuskerDu
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Try Napa auto parts. They sometimes carry cv boot clamps. Most auto parts stores at least have cv boot kits in stock and will have bands in the kits. I’ve never measured the width on them, but you’ll probably need to use the slide type bands rather than the crimp type.
I'm going to try there tomorrow. We have one about 25 minutes away. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:24 PM   #6
DannyAbear
Gone Wild

Club Car

How about using small width hose clamps like they use for fuel lines? Might have to put 2 together
DannyAbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:51 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Guys who run overland/off-road trucks with CV axles use screw style clamps but I’m not a big fan of those. They can get hung up and be ripped off, or they can grab onto grass, vines, barbed wire, etc and wrap it around your axle and destroy the boot.
Zip ties work on a temporary basis but they will stretch and let the grease leak out. They also have shaper edges than you think.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:20 PM   #8
RenoHuskerDu
Getting Wild
Club Car

NAPA saves the day! They have an assortment of boot clamps, including 7.2 mm, which is close enough for this application.

They cost about $2 each. Wow. I'm going to remember this for the future.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:11 PM   #9
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I see you found a solution but there's always these types of tie wraps too.
https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/ame...YaAjVeEALw_wcB
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:15 PM   #10
littelcritter88@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

I know this is an old thread but I thought for anyone that is struggling with this as I was I would try and shed some light on the subject. I work at a repair shop and have found that Club car actually used three different shafts over time. I will include how to identify them and the part numbers for the boot kits for each shaft. The kits include the specified boot, clamps, grease, and if neccessary the parts needed for the inner knuckle.

The first is club cars "standard" shaft. It has Neapco stamped on one of the knucle. The outer boots are a part number 86-2343 and the inner boots are 86-2411.
The club car boot replacement kit number will be as follows.
The outer boot kit number is AM11807 and AM11808 for the inner part number. The outer knuckle can be removed so if the outer is ripped, you can just remove the knuckle and replace it alone.

The next is an interparts shaft and Club car refers to these as the Gen 2. You can identify it by looking on the shaft in between the two knuckles and the shaft number of 10396201 will be stamped on it. The club car boot replacement kit number will be as follows.
The outer boot kit number will be AM1241201. The inner boot kit number will be AM1241301. This shaft you have to remove the inner knuckle to replace the outer boot as they have permantly affixed the outer knuckle.

The last shaft is an interparts shaft and it was very difficult to find information on. The easiest way I have found to identify it is the outer boot is a part # BT-2343 and inner boot is a part # BT-2411. It is underneath the clamps. The club car part # is AM1291501 for the outer Boot and AM1291601 for the inner boot. This shaft you have to remove the inner knuckle to replace the outer boot as they have permantly affixed the outer knuckle.

I hope this information will help save some people some time, money, and frustration as this took me a year and a half to figure out.
littelcritter88@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car