lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2019, 07:48 PM   #1
sigfla45
Gone Wild

Default Batteries bubble w/out charger

I know my TXT48's batts should bubble when hooked to the charger. However I have had my cart unplugged for 5 days while away and I came back and noticed drops of water on top of a couple of batteries. Is it normal for them to bubble when not hooked to a charger? My electronics are currently wired into 16 volts but those batteries looked dry on top. It was primarily the 2 in the middle. I also have the Trojan hydromatic watering system and all the covers were on tight. I am running around 80% charge per Scotty's SOC chart on 2016 batteries. Just bought the cart so not too hot about changing batteries right now. Really preferred to spend some $$ on a new controller upgrade instead.
sigfla45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-03-2019, 08:34 PM   #2
sigfla45
Gone Wild

Default Re: Batteries bubble w/out charger

I should add that my accessories are in a constant on condition. They are wired to the 2 passenger side batteries. I am in the process of setting up an aux 12v battery for the lights and stereo b/c I am eventually installing a winch but for now the 16v are working. I just got my new battery tray and mounting hardware in the mail today. All of my batts at rest measure 8.3v + but the one that seems to be leaking might measure 8.29 +. I will have to recheck but its on the charger now. I read an old thread with a OP who has US batts that did the same, mine are Trojans. The culprit battery also seems to have developed a bit of white chalky corrosion around one terminal that looks new since I left town.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:07 PM   #3
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Let me give you my opinion on whats wrong. You have a blocked vent cap on the battery that is leaking. I believe normal caps are vented at 2psi. I speculate that one of yours is blocked causing the pressure to build up. The higher pressure will carry liquid with it as it vents at higher pressure. The think to be worried about is the hydromatic watering system. They are known to block up. If there is ever a spark it will take out the whole chain of batteries. So check and clean your vent caps. Preferably replace the watering system or remove it.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:11 PM   #4
sigfla45
Gone Wild

I was initially happy to see the system when I bought the cart but the more I read the less I like
Old 01-04-2019, 11:15 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
Let me give you my opinion on whats wrong. You have a blocked vent cap on the battery that is leaking. I believe normal caps are vented at 2psi. I speculate that one of yours is blocked causing the pressure to build up. The higher pressure will carry liquid with it as it vents at higher pressure. The think to be worried about is the hydromatic watering system. They are known to block up. If there is ever a spark it will take out the whole chain of batteries. So check and clean your vent caps. Preferably replace the watering system or remove it.
X2!
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO