lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2019, 08:25 PM   #1
Dash48
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha electric golf cart runs and then stops

I have a 1999 Yamaha electric golf cart g16 i have replace the solenoid the switch assembly new cables all the batteries hold a charge I trouble shot the DC motor it works now here's the problem I drive the golf cart for maybe 2 to 5 minutes and then it stops and then it will not start again for a while so I leave it and come back to it and then it's runs.the solenoid will click but I do not have any forward or reverse I have cleaned all the wires post I have pulled all the fuses and replace them I would like someone to try to troubleshoot this problem I cannot afford to take it to a dealer any suggestions

Last edited by Dash48; 05-06-2019 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: Added g16 model number
Dash48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2019, 01:38 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha electric golf cart runs and then stops

But wait... I'm very sure There was no G16e in 1999. Is your system 36v or 48v? The F&R is a super common failure point on G16E, but, so was the controller. (Don't trust stickers on the easily changed plastic body, only trust what parts you see, and the serial number , SN wasn't on the plastic body). G16E SN was on a aluminum tag riveted to the frame, it should be on the parts under the seat, up front. On the driver's side if I recall.

Oops, there was still a G16e available in 1999........ My mistake! I thought after 1998, G19e was the new way....
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:04 PM   #3
Dash48
Not Yet Wild

It is definitely a 1999 g16 e Yamaha electric golf cart I pulled out the controller today it looks brand new I put the cables to it after cleaning the terminals and the golf cart red on jack stands for a few minutes then I remounted the controller put all the cables back on in their original place connected to three wires green white and yellow reconnected the battery cable to the solenoid and I just got a clicking noise the tires would not rotate I am wondering if it could possibly be the brushes in the DC motor that's the only thing I haven't pulled or changed any other suggestions. What is the F & R?
Old 05-07-2019, 05:40 PM   #4
Dash48
Not Yet Wild

36 volt I already replaced the forward and reverse switch
Old 05-13-2019, 11:26 PM   #5
Dash48
Not Yet Wild

Any more suggestions I double-checked the motor it works I put in new brushes make sure all the cables were clean all the way to the floor and reverse switch assembly I think I would need to know what cables go to the solenoid is clicking and working and sometimes the wheels spin I have one new battery the other ones are a little bit older but they all hold 6 volts or better need to figure out what the heck the problem is maybe it's the controller it looks brand new I cleaned off all the terminals
Old 05-14-2019, 07:05 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

So are you saying the cart runs if you hold the controller in your hand, but when the controller is mounted to the frame it does not run?

Perhaps your motor is shorted to the case, and thus energizing the frame when you press the pedal?

Just a shot in the dark, I don't know why else the cart would only run when the controller is not mounted...
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:33 PM   #7
Dash48
Not Yet Wild

I don't know where you read that I never said that if I hold the controller it runs and when I put it back in place it doesn't run. But I did have a friend come over who knows alot about golf carts and he said that it's the batteries because I bought one brand new one the other batteries are 2013 they are over 5 years old and so one new battery in 50 old ones cause the car not to charge properly especially under a heavy load it goes down to 30 volts when I'm just driving it down the driveway so I think I need to buy new batteries thanks for your help
Old 07-06-2019, 08:18 AM   #8
Dash48
Not Yet Wild

New update I just put 6 brand new batteries in the golf cart and I still have the same problem it will run for a little while and then stop and then I come back over to the golf cart and get on it and it starts to move again for about 2 minutes and then stops I'm not sure but it maybe it is the controller can somebody help me with this idea or thought
Old 07-06-2019, 08:51 AM   #9
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Have you check out your motor. Dead spots will develop on the competitor, (Hopefully that spelled halfway right). Set up your OHM meter to the two Arm post. rotate the motor shaft several times and observe the difference, Is the motor OEM, 20 years is a long time, especially if this cart has been in the mud.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:10 PM   #10
Dash48
Not Yet Wild

Well you could be right it could be the motor because when I took it apart to put new brushes in it I noticed one of the places where the screw bolt goes was broke in half I took J-B Weld I don't know if it's the insulator or what but it was cracked and broke so maybe the motor is at the age where I need to replace it it's worth it chance that they could be the problem thank you will let you know

Tags
1999 yamaha golf cart, g16 karma electric
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha