lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2019, 05:04 PM   #1
Wfm
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Powerwise II 36 volt charge controller board

I have a 36 volt powerwise II charger 602718 made around 2006 that will not turn on. The relay was burned out so I replaced that and kept the same problem. I suspect the control board is bad and performing the troubleshooting steps including jumpering around it confirms it pretty well. When I jumper it out the charger comes up to about twenty amps and seems to work fine. I would like to know if anyone knows of a suitable hopefully cheaper replacement for the EZGO controller? That one, Lester part number 25505S runs about 160-180 bucks from what I can find. I’m pretty handy with electrical and electronic components so I can probably make another part work with a proper wiring diagram. I will try to attach a couple of pictures that show the board I have now. Any help greatly appreciated.

Bill in Virginia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D74350F3-E9A7-4362-98DA-11EE90DEE638.jpg (13.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg A0B69CC6-C68E-4E9D-81FD-50A8AD7B6854.jpg (12.4 KB, 0 views)
Wfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Powerwise II 36 volt charge controller board

Fortunately most any control board for a 36V ferroresonant transformer type charger will work. Problem is mounting them so nothing shorts out.

Red and black wires on new board connect to were red and black wire on old board connected to. AC wires connect to new relay same way they did on old relay.

Here are schematic for a PW-II with either 2-wire or 3-wire output cable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PW-II 2-wire output.jpg (123.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PW-II 3-wire output.jpg (123.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:11 PM   #3
Wfm
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the advice. Now I need to research other control boards that might fit inside my charger and be able to be mounted to avoid shorts. Do you have any suggestions such as part number, source of supply, cost, etc. thanks very much for your time, really appreciate it.

Bill in VA
Old 08-17-2019, 10:20 PM   #4
NBE
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I had the same problem a while back with my brother's charger. Paid $40+ for the replacement board. See my post at http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ol-boards.html
NBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:29 PM   #5
Wfm
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks for the lead. You say you purchased the 9012 board? Can you please provide me more information on that such as full part number, manufacturer, who you bought if from, etc. I would really appreciate that. Also if you have it handy information on the other board also.

Bill in VA
Old 08-18-2019, 10:18 AM   #6
NBE
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Bill,

Just search for 9012 control board and several of the boards show up. I bought mine off of Amazon for $42.95. I am reluctant to post a link as I do not want to possibly violate any sponsor related rules on here.

The text for my search brought up this description for the board I purchased:

EZGO Golf Cart Powerwise Charger Board - Control and Power Input Board Replacement 28667G01 28566G01 28566-G01 28566-G03 28126-G01 28667-G01 28126GO3.

I'm sure there are plenty available online. Edit: Just saw a 9012 board online for $27 so they're out there.

Brad
Old 08-18-2019, 03:45 PM   #7
Wfm
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Brad. I just saw several of them for sale online. I’ll order one and see what happens. Will let everyone know the results when I test it out. Really appreciate the replies from everyone, very helpful.

Bill in Virginia
Old 08-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #8
NBE
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Tried to post a video to show how I mounted the board to the inside of the front cover of the charger but couldn't get it to post. I may have to try again later as it's not recognizing .mov file when I try to upload.

Some pictures instead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charger front.jpg (87.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Charger inside 1.jpg (47.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Charger inside 2.jpg (64.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-18-2019, 08:33 PM   #9
Wfm
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

That’s very helpful. I can see how you oriented it and mounted to the case. I’m going to go with the same thing you ordered since you have what looks to be the exact powerwise II that I have. I charged my batteries today by jumpering around the control board and it worked fine. Since everything was out of the case I did notice that the transformer itself gets fairly hot to the touch after it’s been on for awhile. I hope that’s normal ?...

Thank, Bill in VA
Old 08-18-2019, 11:09 PM   #10
NBE
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm not sure how much heat the transformer generates. I don't have a lot of experience using that charger. It belonged to my brother. I just repaired it for him after it blew and that was over a year ago.

Sorry that the pictures are not that clear. I had to capture them from the video. My brother has since sold the charger and cart.

In pictures 2 and 3 you'll see something red between the charger cover and the 9012 board. That is a thin piece of rubber I had from another project so I added it there as some added protection being the board is about 1/2 inch or so from the metal front cover. Probably not needed but had the red rubber and decided to use it.

Brad
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO